Distance?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Wildwood*Flower, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Wildwood*Flower

Wildwood*Flower New Member

My friend works in a town about an hour away from where I live. Anyway, she gave my number to this guy she works with, and we have been talking quite a bit. He seems like a really nice guy. Hes 26, graduated college, has real plans for his life. If it weren't for two things, I would definitely date him. First, he lives an hour away, which isnt that bad but it still keeps bothering me for some reason. Also, Im only 20 and havent had many serious relationships at all...hes had a few pretty serious relationships and has lived with one of the girls. I feel like Im so inexperienced and immature compared to him. I dont know what to do! Should I just give it a chance? He says the distance doesn't bother him at all and that he would drive every day to visit a girl he likes. Any ideas?

2. Nickie

Nickie New Member

i say go for it. he seems like a good guy. if u like him then i would take the chance

3. Haggard

Haggard VW crew

I live 10 hrs away from my girlfriend and weve been going out for just over a month now, and all i can say is i cant belive how perfect everything is with her, and im leaving in 4 days to see her and she'll be here in may so we've made things workout, we are both 18 too. Anyway all i can say is give it a shot, distance for starting up a realtionship is awesome you get to know each other better. I talk to my GF everyday on the phone ( shes got a wicked plan :)) i seriously couldn't be happier

4. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

i'm in japan she's in nj ... count your blessings ... :squint:

seriously though ... go for it ... worst thing that can happen is you do some growing up and he breaks your heart ... :hsugh: ... :dunno:

5. mrs0323

mrs0323 New Member

Two old sayings: Familiarity breeds contempt and Absence makes the heart grow fonder. That being said however, be prepared for the angst that goes with any semi "distance" relationship.

6. Bouwnt

Bouwnt choppa choppaaa

Amen!

I go to school here in Texas, and my girl goes to Syracuse, NY. Definately hard as shit, as we rarely have time to see each other, but at the same time well worth it. Today is actually our 2 years together. :x:

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

my girlfriend is 3 hours away and we make it work, every other weekend or so. 1 hour will not kill you. and dont worry about experience. just date him and see where it goes. him living with some girl doesn't give him anything over you in the way of experience really... i wouldn't worry about it.

8. Wildwood*Flower

I guess I just worry too much about things like this. Seems like everyone is saying to give him a chance. I must say he is a huge improvement from the last guy I gave a chance to...he ended up being a drunk drug addict who hit his last girlfriend who he got pregnant. Worst person I have ever dated. All of you people who are dating someone farther away, did you start that far away, or did one of you move?

9. i'd say give it a shot...if it doesn't work it doesn't work....but if you don't try then you mite be missing out on a special guy.

10. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

I have a long distance relationship and like you im also 20..my bf is 28 and it's going great almost nine month later. I couldn't be happier! Like you I was nervouse because we live almost three hours away from each other but if you make the effort to see each other on weekends and breaks,etc, it can be the best relationship. For one, in my experiance...guys my age are immature. So being with a guy older (hopefully wiser) may be a good thing. Also, the distance allows the two of you to still carry on your own lives which is healthy because you shouldn't revolve around your relationship and still have seperate interests. Also, by not seeing each other every day, you get to miss him and actually appreciate the time you do spend together.

At this point I will live with my bf until mid summer because of a job I am taking near him but whether or not you move in with him or he with you is a personal choice. Just because he's older and settled in his career and might be ready for marriage or committment doesnt mean he cant wait until you are also ready.

Give this a chance and look at it this way..if it doesn't work out, you have an unlikely chance of bumping into the guy at random, that is unless you hang out at your friend's work.

11. Wildwood*Flower

I found out last night he is divorced. My friend forgot to tell me this part and he thought she had already. It kind of makes me nervous about the whole thing. What happened was when he was 18, he was in the hospital with 6 months to live due to a heart problem(which is now fixed). When he got out, he thought he didn't have long to live, and wanted to get married and all that, so he did. It ended up not working out. They were married for two years and decided it wasnt working. He gave her everything, the house, car, everything. Should I let this bother me, or am I getting to the age where I am going to have to deal with this in some guy's pasts?

12. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Maturity has little if anything to do with experience

Why would a past marriage bother you? You need to be able to rationalise this.

13. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

you won't know unless you try. You have nothing to lose. go for it.

My g/f lives about 1.5 hours away and we see eachother every weekend and 1 or 2 days during the week. It's not that bad. :) Good luck.

14. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

yea my gf lives and hour and a half away also and we've been going out for a little over a year.. probly lasted so long cause i see her once a week so i can't get sick of her :hsd:

15. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Might as well give it a try, My boyfriend and I were together for 1.5 years, 1.5 hours apart. Living that far apart forced us to build our relationship on an intellectual/emotional level. When I moved into the area things were rocky, but I eventually realized that I'd rather be with him more than anyone else, and now we live together. :)

16. booxbooxkittie

booxbooxkittie New Member

I would say go for it. The last guy I was with has had a few serious relationships before and I never really have (not too much into the whole relationship thing!!) and I moved two hours away from him for school...it sucked major but it was alright..if you really like the guy, go for it

17. D

D A guiltless state of self awareness.. The process

You have to get to know him, & you need to trust him. An hour away isn't very far, but it also could be a perfect buffer zone for someone to hide somethings about themselves.
    I'd say go for it, just be cautious. Pay attention to your gut instincts.
    I'm in a long distance relationship right now. Eight hours. He wants to move here soon. Thing is, I do trust this one. We talk every day, & he texts me from work every night. He's also already driven up here to see me on three seperate weekends. We hooked up on thankgiving week.
    Best of luck to you. Pay attention, & follow your instincts.