SRS Dissociation, Derealization, Depersonalization...anyone often experience these?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BrownWalrus, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

I think i am suffering from all them, but mostly from Dissociation [​IMG]

I've been doing a lot of research and trying to read up on all of them but i figure somebody on here must know something about it..[​IMG]

Maybe some advice as to what psychiatrist to go to, or what kind of therapy/treatment would be best?

I'm not currently in the USA and will visit a psychiatrist as soon as i get back, but i DO wanna be prepared and well informed on this crap well ahead of time.

I'm not sure how to begin explaining it...i will be talking to a a person and i KNOW i'm talking with them, and i can feel that i'm talking with them..but i just can't seem to comprehend the fact that i'm talking with them...it's like someone else is thinking and talking for me, and i start zoning out really quickly..it feels like i'm out of place or talking to a fake person. I also look at the world that way many times..for example, i'll be in the passenger seat just looking at the trees and everything and it will just feel like i'm not connected to this world, like i'm looking through someone elses eyes..it's extremely unbearable. I'm 100% sure i have chronic dissociation (and probably anxiety as well) because my mind shuts of SOOO often when doing even the most simple tasks, such as driving somewhere to buy a soda or something. The reason i mentioned anxiety is because of the fight or flight responses, which is when your mind and body (for whatever reason) fears an event that you are awaiting, and prepares itself ahead of time (and especially when you're approaching the event) by basically getting you pumped up and ready for the worst. This is good and all but it keeps going even after the event and feels really weird. The reason it pisses me off is because i might start worrying about going to a new place or talking to someone new and it will start happening. It's weird because i like talking to new people and i'm It's like i'm 75% dissociative and 25% real, if that makes sense. My sister and my friends have asked countless times if i was high when looking me just because my eyes appeared extremely zoned out, and it's frustrating trying to argue with them, especially since i might be talking slower or more awkward because i simply can't concentrate...it's really hard trying to explain it.

http://www.myshrink.com/counseling-theory.php?t_id=13

That article perfectly explains my situation. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen every single day for the majority of the time.

Sorry for the long read but i'm hoping someone here might have had some experience with this and can point me in the right direction.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yes I know other people who suffer from this. It can be caused from a variety of things. It's not merely a psychiatric or psychological thing. It "can" be, but it can also be caused by disease processes, autoimmune conditions, or neurological abnormalities.

A few members here have posted about it. Try messaging or searching for posts by Stephen Cronin.

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Do you happen to have nightmares, flashbacks ?

4. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

I rarely have nightmares, i don't really remember my dreams all too much. A lot of times i might remember what i dreamt when i wake up but i will forget in a few hours. Flashbacks? I'm not really sure how to tell if i had one or not...but if i can't recall then i probably didn't.

I actually forgot to mention a very vital piece of information.

I used to take tons of DXM (and weed) in 10th grade (i'm gonna be 20 in december) and i did it a few times in 11th grade, a handful of times in 12th grade, and i started doing it a lot again during last christmas (basically 2009) in much higher doses than regular, and eventually did 1000mg which brought me straight to ER (i probably didn't need it but i freaked out because i couldn't breathe and i thought for sure i was gonna die that time). I can't even smoke marijuana anymore because it makes my dissociation much, much worse..it basically makes me completely useless. I also did E a few times, some painkillers and other pills (such as vics, percs, ritallins, hydrocodone and possibly others that i cant remember) and i also did dramamine (the ingredient in allergy medicine such as benadryl) a few times..i also used to drink a lot, almost daily, during the summer (for the past 3 summers) this summer i haven't been drinking as much.

Heh..i'm not sure how i forgot to mention this part. I'm positive this is why it's been happening to me, i'm just wondering if it's not too late to cure it.

5. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

Can't find anything from stephen cronin..says invalid username :hs:

6. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

Nvm, found him. Reading now

7. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

That has been shown to cause the symptoms you're experiencing. Many reports of derealization have resulted from use of a variety of drugs, including pot.

It could be brain damage. It could be something else too, but it's a difficult condition to figure out. Diagnosis properly can take time so keep searching.

Some people report chronic problems that don't resolve, but some drugs have been shown to help. A psychiatrist who understands may be useful. Make sure to tell them about your symptoms and what you thought it could be. Be aware that many doctors do not understand the condition or how to solve it -- but there are others who do. You can do some research to find a doctor who has helped other people, or use ratemd.com and call the offices of various doctors with good ratings. Ask if they have experience treating the condition or would be willing to evaluate you to help you figure it out.

8. REEPER

REEPER New Member

I've pretty much lived most of my life in this state, a sort of introspective glaze that makes me feel more like an observer than anything else. I believe it can have its advantages, I have quite a strong intuition which I believe comes from the way in which I perceive, and thus how I store, the various stimuli around me.

Still, I wouldn't mind being able to emotionally invest myself in certain activities as an actor more than a spectator (i.e. I just finished my masters today and I couldn't really care less)

9. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

That's exactly how i feel. It's quite hard for me to emotionally care about something...and it comes and goes in waves, mostly if i had drank that day. It's strange because it honestly feels at times that my family are strangers...it seems that i really don't care that much about a lot of things simply because i can't seem to attach myself to them. I always feel as if i'm not actually "doing" the activities, but more so going along with the flow...this wouldn't be that bad if my brain wouldn't go into dissociation during the most random time and for the littlest of reasons. How am i going ot be able to do a lot of studying if i won't be able to concentrate that much?

10. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Close :)

I've been experiencing chronic derealization since 2007 without any known cause (marijuana triggered anxiety and/or Lyme disease are suspect however.) I'll tell you that klonipin and lyrica are two drugs that have made the feelings lessen for me. Everything else I've taken, and I've taken a lot, has had zero effect. Tell me more of your anxiety?

I notice this thread was created last year, hopefully you're feeling better. Regardless, you'll want to check out this website:

Dpselfhelp.com : Depersonalization Community
    Support site for those suffering from depersonalization and derealization.
    www.dpselfhelp.com

PS: This is worth reading as well: http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Unrea...5217/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292967428&sr=8-1

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

(anonymous reply)

I think I've experienced "depersonalization", if that's what this is considered.

In highschool I smoked marijuana for a few months, the first few times feeling great but several times before I decided I could no longer do it were HORRIBLE. As soon as I let out the hit I would feel this weird sensation of being far from my surroundings, noises would feel like they were distant, everything I said felt like it was slurred, etc. The best thing I can compare it to is feeling like everyone talking around me was in a different room than me, it really was unsettling. Accompanied with this was terrible anxiety, my heart would pound and I would feel sick.

After I decided to stop I had this same sensation hit me a couple times while sober, in the months following. The symptoms were less severe than when I was high but I still acquired the sensation of feeling detached from reality. Something that is somewhat interesting I might add is that I was on a acne medication at the time of which wikipedia claims "depersonalization" can be a side effect. (Minocycline) Found that to be interesting because it is just simply an antibiotic, don't really know what to accredit those attacks to.

This was a few years ago, and most recently I had the same thing happen when I was shopping at walmart with my brother, I don't know what triggered it but I felt the sensation for a few seconds and felt like I couldn't concentrate on anything. Luckily it subsided quickly and I felt like I was on the comedown of a panic attack for the rest of the night.

Our minds can do strange things :hsd:

12. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

What is the significance of this exactly?

Lol, looked at the date now.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

PTSD.

14. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Oh...

15. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

I'm sad to hear you mention those words. It is often because you have been hurt beyond repair and you basically lose trust in life because your "vision" of your life was shattered beyond repair.

Join a gym, get continuous therapy, talk to your friends and open up...good luck!

16. clouseau

clouseau New Member

Depersonalization, which I am very well acquainted with, took place at a time when I dropped benzodiazapenes cold turkey. My life caved in on me almost immediately. While driving to work, I could not recall the last block that I'd past. It took three long, torturous months for that one withdrawal symptom to pass. I recall it like it was yesterday. Everything around me made me feel disconnected, as if I was living life within a movie. My concentration was the pits, as I could barely remember what my next step was to be.

The best thing I can offer is, that if it is due to drug withdrawal, I would try to get professional help (which I tried to do, but they were about as ignorant as I was to what it was going on inside of me), and, for the most part, be patient enough to wait it out; but then, this I would recommend only if what you're experiencing is related to drug withdrawal.

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Lyrica and Neurontin are drug therapies that may be of value to people experiencing these symptoms. Talk with your primary care doctor in order to determine who would be best suited to "specialize" in treating this. Usually this falls to Psychiatrist or Neurologists. It depends on what is causing the condition, and that's a complicated issue.

18. Sooka

Sooka New Member

What kind of benzo's were you taking, what was your dose, and how long were you on them for? I'm just curious because three months sounds like an extremely long time to be detoxing, I've known people who were methadone addicts for years who detoxed in less than three months.

19. NitrousX

NitrousX Go web Go!

I've got samsies. PTSD and derealization and depersonalization. I'll be in the middle of a sentence and my vision just goes into a thousand yard stare. I'm pretty sure it's from PTSD because I've just recently started having nightmares

20. BrianFantana

BrianFantana Active Member

This just in: High powered dissociatives may cause dissociation. I understand you might not have understood the repercussions at that point in your life, but you must have known that what you were putting into your body wasn't good. My best friend is in rehab right now for DXM and general drug abuse, and I was heading down the same path, it's a very powerful drug with many unknown side effects, including long term dissociation.

21. unavailable313

unavailable313 New Member

This is exactly what other people have said to me when I was growing up, going to school. Thought I was the only one, I never heard of a name for this (dissociation) until now.

Some of my teachers in the past mockingly asked if I was "high" to me as well - should I be then?! And it hurt, because I was just a really shy kid whose mind was in another world. I never had friends, so my interest in school was pretty much dead come classtime.

That's how I see myself now. I keep kicking myself whenever I'm in a social situation, because I don't know how to act for one. Two, it almost feels nice to let my mind wander and disconnect myself.

In real life, it feels like I'm watching a TV if that makes any sense. I'd rather sit back and watch the world happen rather than take part in it.

I must note, I never tried any drugs growing up. I may have played lots of video games, but no drugs. I always felt naturally high! lmao. Not in a good way, though, sadly. The "glazed" up, timid way of course.