Dissatisfied with my sub and amp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by k9n, Apr 22, 2004.

1. k9n

k9n Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Hi i currently have a Jenson ALX2000, 100x2 mofset power amp pushing a Kenwood Excelon dB+ KFC-XW1005dB with a 3x11 box with a angle at the top. I am not satisfied with the loudness of the sub, is it the sub that is ****ty? the amp? or what? Thanks in advance, and please respond quickly so i can fix it![/font]

2. 04

04 Guest

Maybe you are expecting too much out of the setup?

What is a 3x11 box?

If you are using a small sealed box, you might want to try a large vented box instead, you will gain considerable output in most cases.

3. k9n

k9n Member

hmm with the bass turned all the way up and the gain turned all the way up i can barely feel the bass, the peak power of the sub is 1000w, what would be a good wattage to run it at?

4. 04

04 Guest

Well if that Jensen amplifier puts out 200 watts, that should be enough for your woofer. What are the dimensions of your subwoofer enclosure? And is it sealed or vented?

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The problem is that you are using a shitty amp, on a shitty sub. Get some better equipment and you will be fine.

6. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

wiring issues? the sub SHOULD move even with 200w

7. k9n

k9n Member

alright, well im an idiot, the sub is a a DVC sub and i only had one coil hooked up to start off. So i am currently using my friends kenwood kac-716 amp and have the subs hooked up to run at 2ohms, so that is about 160watts if i am correct, and it sounds a lot better@

8. On_One

On_One Guest

Abort mission. Start over.

9. kgb006

kgb006 New Member

jensenn amps are really crappy and cheap , get your self a decent amp and you will definatly hear the difference

10. k9n

k9n Member

new question, should i keep my dvc kenwood 10' or get a type s with a type s ported box?

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

k9n - i recommend you do some research around on this forum and others and you may find that there are plenty of good subs out there in your price range. It is a question of purchasing the right products and having the right installation (such as the correct box size)

learn much more before throwing money away. i wish i had done that - years ago.

12. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I'm glad i only threw away $200 in my experience before getting to know the ropes :)

13. k9n

k9n Member

ok, i understand what you are saying, i guess car audio isnt really my interest. But i only spend 40 bucks on anything...

But i looked at the prices on a alpine type s and it is like 134, while the kenwood is like 179. What kind of quality difference is there between the two?

14. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

The difference between the two is that the kenwood is even more of a rip off then the type S.