Display cord that comes with iBook with PC monitor.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Oct 16, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

So, the iBooks (mine did) come with this cord, its like 4 inches long. One end is smal, and plugs into the side of my iBook, and the symbol above the port is a little box with a line on the right and left sides.
    The other end, i'm almost positive is for a computer monitor. its a female plug, with 15 holes, and they are kinda bunched up, in 3 rows of 5.

Can i just get like any PC monitor and plug my iBook into it, and run dual displays? Like, Just go and get a cheap CRT from a pawn shop or something. I might need to get an adaptor cable, but I dont hafta use an apple display, do i?

And, is it possible for apple to fix a headphone jack? Do they hafta replace the whole computer, or just like take it appart and replace the jack? mines broken, and i still have my ACPP.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes. Just plug it up.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

sweet, will there be a cord with the thing, or do i need to get an adaptor? The cord is short, so i'm assuming i'd come with something, but idk.

Thanks a ton, might hit up some garage sales.

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

mmkay, i've been looking on ebay, and i'm pretty sure i'm going with a Flat Screen LCD.
    But, the ones i've seen, well, i'm not sure.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88396
    look there, that is for my computer. I have the middle cord, which is the adaptor. Scroll down to the resolutions.
    It says that if i want to run it at 60 hz (wtf is hz???) then it hasta be like 680x800...

The monitor i was looking at (15inch HP) says this...
    Native Resolution-1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

another, 17inch Dell says this...
    Optimal preset resolution: 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz
    Highest preset resolution: 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz

So, does that mean that i cant use that monitor unless i'm running it at 680x800??? Because, that is wayyyy too big.
    Thanks a ton
    Peter

O, and, with 2 monitors. I know that i can have it so that the extra monitor is like an expansion of my current one, but is it possible for me to have both show the same thing? Sounds dumb, but, there are times when i've wanted to have 2 diff montiors showing the same picture. Would i just use system preferences, or do i get a special program?
    Thanks a ton, just want to make sure before i go and spend 150 on a monitor.

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

feel free to point me in the direction of good deals, i would prefer to stay with ebay, but i dont care. I want to spend like, 150 shipped, maybe 160. Would like integrated speakers.

O, and, if it does have intgrated speakers, can i use the current ones on my laptop, and the ones on that monitor?

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Well, i was just looking at the site for the HP monitor...
    it says this...
    Horizontal Frequency Range 30 - 63 kHz Vertical Frequency Range 56 - 76 Hz

Since the monitor Pivots 90 degress, i'm asusming that Verticle frequency range is how it is when its normal, and horizontal is how it is when its turn 90 degress.

Sound right? if so, i'l most likely get that montior. i think its going to be 150 total, 30 shipping, and its 120 buy it no (there are 85 left, i'll post the link just incase anyone wants one

7. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

Just to let you know, it won't be true dual display. With the iBook all it can do it mirror what is on your computer screen. You would need a Powerbook to run true dual displays

IBsomefucknutcomesinandsaysthatthereisafixsothathecandotruedualdisplayandheoverheatshisibook

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

god damn, i think u miss spelled that last thing...

IB some fucknut comes in and says that there is a fix so that he can do true dual display and he over heats his ibook.

So, even if it CAN mirror it. Will it fuck it over heat my iBook? i'm only using this for a bit, i'm trying ti save up for a PC, and i'm buying the monitor first, so i figured i'd use it with my laptop.

link to monitor i'm getting...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-15-LCD-Flat-...07373762QQcategoryZ114197QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so, will it over heat my iBook to run my display and that one? i've got my power adaptor in at all times, and i can run without the battery.

9. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

Make sure what your getting is VGA and not DVI. The cable you have is a mini-DVI to VGA adaptor. If what you get is a DVI then your going to need to buy the mini-DVI to DVI adaptor.

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks guys, i'm acctually using my 21 inch CRT monitor from the family computer right now.

hmmm, i can either get a 15inch LCD for 150, or a much larger CRT for arround there. Decisions Decisions.

11. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

\

can u buy a VGA to a DVI adaptor???

and, this is what it says, under the specs...
    Signal Input-Dual input (VGA and DVI); 15-pin mini D-sub VGA, Digital DVI-D

that means i can use it, right?

12. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

yes and yes

13. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

It won't overheat your iBook if you use in mirror mode.

14. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i've been using dual display for awhile now on a 19" CRT and haven't had any issues yet.