dislodged rib head?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by njftw, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njftw

njftw New Member

Anyone ever have it happen to you?

Shit sucks, hurts to breathe deep or move around in certain positions. I think it's safe to say I wont be working out the rest of this week most likely. Going back to the Chiro Friday.

:wtc:

2. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

how do you do that?

3. njftw

njftw New Member

I think from lifting like an idiot and not really warming up. Or it could have been from using bad form :hs:

I know last week when I started lat pull downs, the left side of my upper back (under my shoulder blade) felt REALLY tight... and I thought to myself, "idiot.. thats what you get for not warming up right". Well I probably should of been doing more than worrying about warming up, I think thats how it got put out of place.

I also let my friend's GF adjust me (they are in chiro school). Mistake number two :squint: Not that she messed me up, but I'm sure I would feel safer right now if she hadn't adjusted me :sadwavey:

4. ices

ices New Member

How do you know that it's a dislodged rib head and not just a muscle strain?

5. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

unless you were flailing around like a retard i dont see how you could dislodge a rib from pull downs. i wouldnt let a chiro touch me, let alone a wanne be chiro. go see a real doctor if you're that worried

6. njftw

njftw New Member

Well you're right, I don't KNOW. But it does hurt where I have never felt a muscle before, and since it hurts to breathe... I'm assuming it's a rib. Also, Chiropractors are idiots even though some people don't like/trust them.

My chiro gets invited to the Olympics as a doctor and works with major University sports programs. I trust him :dunno:

7. ices

ices New Member

I'm not saying that it's not your rib, but it seems pretty unlikely. I'm not sure how a rib would dislodge without some sort of impact, but you would be in a lot more pain.

Neither of those are exclusive to a dislodged rib. Since you were doing a pulldown where you pull your shoulder blades back and down and you said the pain was under your shoulder blade, it could be your lower trap. Or any of the deep supporting musculature that's never directly worked or "felt".

When you breath, you're just expanding and contracting your chest cavity. That movement can cause/refer pain to any part of that area.

Were you diagnosed by yourself or your chiro?

8. njftw

njftw New Member

My chiro. :hs:

But I see what you're saying about everything else.

9. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

Definitely sounds like a rib. It's pretty common and easily treatable.

I used to have T4 rib on the right come out every time I did dips. It spawned from a muscle imbalance and flexor dominance (working too much chest).

Is it hurting in the front or the back?

I fix this daily.

If you have any questons let me know.

10. Mass

Mass Active Member

ive done it before, I went to my chiro, and they have a pretty simple/effective fix, you kind of lay on your side and you cross your arms in front of you and they push down on your trunk and it realigns all the ribs or something. It sounds like they break your fucking ribcage when they do it, but it feels epic afterwards.

11. njftw

njftw New Member

Yeah, exactly I think it's from focusing too much on my chest and neglecting my back. It hurts my back, not front. He said it will be easier for it to happen again in the future... what should I do to prevent it? Better form?

12. njftw

njftw New Member

Yea thats exactly what he did.

13. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

It'll come out easier now because of ligamentous laxity and "muscle memory".

Ask your chiro for some exercise protocols to strengthen your posterior chest wall. Lay off of bench for a while and do a lot of extensor exercises.

I can't tell what's going on with your form without seeing what you're doing.

Bench press is one of the worst things you can do for yourself though. I stopped alltogether for a while and now do it once every month if that.

It's a pretty extensive topic, but ask him for the basics and use them.

14. njftw

njftw New Member

wtf :wtc:

Cables and the like for chest should be fine though, right? I hope so.

Also, when you say extensor... what do you mean?

Thanks a lot for all this by the way :bigthumb:

15. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

I'd say lay of chest altogether for a while, but again, I can't really say without seeing what you're doing.

Flexor muscles are anything that puts you in a fetal position.

Extensors are everything that makes you stand erect.

Rhomboids, traps, Paraspinal musculature, triceps, posterior delt, supraspinatous, quads, etc...

and no problem.

16. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

dips

17. njftw

njftw New Member

Ok cool. Yeah I go back tomorrow so I'll definitely ask more questions. Flex/Ext is kind of like Push/Pull then right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.