Dislocated Shoulder...Couple questions for you experts

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by intoxique1, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

I'm 5 " 10, currently weigh about 175. This weekend I dislocated my shoulder while skiing, had to get transported to the hospital (about a 1 1/2 hour drive), where they put me under and popped it back in. I go thursday to see the rehab ppl and find out how bad I fucked it up.
    Questions...How long do you think it'll take to heal?
    And how should i go about keeping my upper body caught up while the shoulder is healing? Can i still lift lower body consistently? etc...any tips would be appreciated...

CLIFFS...Dislocated shoulder...healing time? what to lift during the healing/down time?

2. Chullore

Chullore OT Supporter

Don't they usually tell you to immobilize your shoulder?

Full recovery happens in 3 months+, depending on the extent of your dislocation, I'd just let it rest for a few weeks, then start doing rotator cuff exercises. Lower body should be alright, so long as it doesn't involve your shoulder/arm.

You should probably see a physiotherapist/doctor/professional for a better opinion because I'm stupid :(((

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I subluxed my shoulder (partial dislocation) and I still have problems with it
    (happened in 2002)

and I work with a lot of people who have had dislocated shoulders and they've needed surgery years down the road b/c of torn ligaments and problems with the rotator cuffs.

dislocating a shoulder is a major injury
    it may take months to feel "normal" again, and you may not recover 100% (with range of motion)

I'd recommend doing no lifting while healing. Only do the exercises that the Physical therapist prescribes; but you will be immobilized for a while

4. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

Thanks for the info! I've partially dislocated the same shoulder twice before...previous time was last fall in a rugby match. Our first spring season game is next weekend...if full recovery is 3 + months...guess i won't be playing this season :sadwavey: . i have an appointment later this week, and i guess then i'll know how bad it really is. Thanks again for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.