Diskeeper 10 problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I am trying to defragment my 320gb HDD and it is telling me that I don't have enough space to properly defragment despite having 52GB (17%) of my HDD free. It's telling me I have 0% free.

Is this a bug?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

y would you use diskeeper? just use the xp tool (which I think is made by them, anyway)

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I like the scheduling feature. I set it for 1am and it defrags everynight without my input.

I think the problem is only a small bug since the volume was completely defragged.

BTW, how much free space should I have on my 320GB HD? I don't care at all about speed (the entire HDD is for storage of video) but I don't want to completely bog down my HDD.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fill her up, if you want.

Task Scheduler should be able to work with the built-in defrag util to do so daily w/o input, as well.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Try this...
    Start->Run type chkdsk c: /f (change the drive letter to which one you're having problems with)
    If it's the boot drive, it'll tell you it can't do it until the next restart, so say Yes. Then restart. If it finds any problems it'll fix them and restart and scan again. And then either restart yet again if it finds and fixes more problems or just started Windows.

When it starts Windows, try DisKeeper again.

6. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Fill her up completely? Down to the last GB?

7. grkgus

grkgus New Member

it wont make a difference...you just wont eb able to defrag.

8. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

If I can't defrag then my HDD will degrade, correct?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

degrade? no. Just slows things a bit.

A freshly-defraged drive has every part of the same file next to the cluster that came before it. So it's a linear read when you want the file, and that's faster than a random-seek, which is what happens when the head has to move all over the drive to get all the clusters loaded into memory.

"Degrade"... no.

"Faster"... yes.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, your hard drive will degrade over time (I'm talking years here, not days, so don't freak out) if you don't defrag it. The hard disk platters get very hot, and since it's impossible to insulate them completely from all the magnetic fields they're exposed to, they'll start to demagnetize after a while. If data sits in one place long enough, it can corrupt due to this demagnetization. Performance enhancements aside, defragging prevents this by re-recording the data.

11. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

If I statically store data for a year or so (I'm watiing for next gen CD format), will my data integrity remain 100%?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

This is perhaps the most ignorant statement I've read from you. The half-life alone is well over 100 years, I'm sure.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You're fine. I have a 40MB hard drive (yes MEGA bytes) that has been in my attic for probably 12 years. I bet the data is stll fine on it.

14. deusexaethera

Sure, if the drive is sitting on a shelf. Not so, if it's roasting away inside a case at 50 degrees Celsius.

EDIT: Actually, no. Magnetic tape is the only storage medium proven to last 50 years with 100% data integrity, and only if it's sitting on a shelf.

15. deusexaethera

I would say yes, provided that the hard drive isn't nearing the end of its warranty. But just to be sure, you should defrag it from time to time anyway. I use Norton Speed Disk for this, because I can tell it to move all the files from one end of the HDD to the other, just to make sure every last bit of data gets read, error-checked, and rewritten.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

No, again, you have NO clue what you're talking about.

Defraging a hard drive does NOTHING for data integrity. All it does is re-arrange the clusters so that files remain in a linear-stored state on the drive... Thus speeding access for large files during linear-read operations.

If anything, you can kill a drive faster by defraging because you put it under higher stress.

Demagnitization has NOTHING to do with whether the drive has high levels of fragmentation or not.

17. deusexaethera

You're ignoring my point and at the same time arguing that your point is more correct. Since you can't bother to comprehend what you read before you spout off a response, piss off.