Disk utility how often do you use?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Reaver2218, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

how often do you use your disk utility to check and see if your hard drive needs repaired or whatever needs to be done?

I have started to do this once a month and was wondering if anyone else has a set schedule or jsut does it on the fly.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

It's good practice to do this on a schedule.
    Disk Utility is good and does what it's meant to do. But I like Disk Warrior to do the more serious repairs that DU can't do and not made to fix.
    And while DW is fixing problems it's also defragging.
    http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

50 bucks?

I'll pass (or check the torrents :mamoru: )

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

not bad, takes longer to startup than it does to rebuild my drive. boot times a pretty swift now

5. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

Diskwarrior is the best type of disk care available. Directory problems are quite common with the OS and once your directory goes you can basically lose access to your hd.

A few months back my imac at work wouldn't boot past the blue screen, and mac's disk utility couldn't even format the drive. About 3 months of work was basically lost. Diskwarrior restructured the directory so I could hook up a external and back up everything that was on the drive. In most cases it can fix the drive but I had to replace the hd.

I think my company spent $99 for it. It's worth every penny. I installed it at home and keep the hard copy around so I could use it as a boot if any of the 3 mac's I have takes a dump (If you use it to boot you don't need to enter the serial number). It's a great monitoring program for prevention as well. It is very common for mac's disk utility to not be able to fix serious directory problems.

6. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

thanks for the replies