Disk Utility for a striped RAID pair?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quid, Sep 8, 2009.

1. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

So i almost lost one of my drives last night thats not included in my recent time machine situation.

long story short i have a box with two 1TB drives that i want to stripe together for my time machine disk.

do any of you use disk utility for RAID arrays, do you have any problems or any reason you would or would not recommend it?

:wavey:

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I'm gonna assume you want a 'mirrored' pair or possibly a JBOD (concatenated) - running a stripe for a backup volume is pretty absurd.

Regarding the mirror, I do this for online client files and scratch... and its worked fine other than the one time a disk in the pair bombed. For whatever reason that knocked the array offline and I eventually had to pull the data back off the good slice with a disk recovery tool.

Yes it protected my data. No it didn't work seamlessly. No, it isn't foolproof.

Regarding JBOD, you gain nothing other than the ability to use a larger disk than you physically possess with time machine. Its inability to chain multiple disks is a huge drawback to me, and this a decent way around the limitation. That said, I have no idea what would happen if you were to lose a disk...theoretically you could recover half your data...but maybe none.

No not stripe the disks.

3. quid

Definitely not looking for a mirror. I want these tera drives to show up as one 2tb drive. The way i see it, the odds of my drive and the backup failing are slim to none. so if i lose one of the raid drives i dont have a problem dealing with that because odds are i didn't lose the drives that pair were backing up.

4. quid

the issue im running into is:

my mini has a 320gb, not being backed up
    my photography is on a 500, the drive that tried to fail last night, not backed up (stupid i know)
    my media is on a 1tb, time machined with another tb.

id like to buy another 1tb, combine it with one of the other 1tb for a 2tb so i can backup my mini, photography, and media.

5. eighteen_psi

Concatenate. Striping loses extensibility, adds risk, gains you nothing.

6. quid

Thanks for responding.

Have you used the tool in disk utility to do this? The box my 1tb drives are in now allows me to run JBOD from the box, but somehow i trust os x more to accomplish that than this box (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144), unless someone tells me otherwise.

7. eighteen_psi

I've never done a JBOD but I've done every other flavor with disk utility. In your situation I'd lean on the OS as well. Who knows what that enclosure will do if/when a disk takes a dive.

Either way, assume you'll have to use a recovery tool to get back the 'good' data if one fails...if you need to/want to.

8. quid

is there a recovery software in particular that you'd recommend?

i was able to save that 500gb with disk warrior. it just needed some folder structure repair.

9. eighteen_psi

10. quid

It's funny that you mention the drobo in there. I wish i had a little more foresight a couple months ago when i bought my 1tbs with the box, to just buy the drobo.

anyways, just ordered another 1tb and another of the rosewill box. hopefully this solves my problems for a little while.

thanks again for responding!!

11. quid

welp, im backing up ~900 gb to my 2tb concatenated array.

12. eighteen_psi

13. quid

:h5: thanks again dude!