Disk usage same after deleting files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Matt-AWD, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Ok, this is just pissing me off. I got a new 80GB hd for xmas. Whenever I delete large files (mainly my prob is deleting the 4+GB DVD ISO's after I rip them), my disk usage stays the same as if I had not deleted the files. I could check the properties of everything on the drive and have 2GB used, but windows would say 30GB was used. Tried defrag and scandisk, problem still remained. What's odd is that when running defrag, it showed the files i had just deleted being moved, even though they were no longer there. Another oddity with the drive is that it shows up with a cdrom icon. Any ideas? :confused:

[​IMG]

Oh and if it matters, Drive D and E are both hooked to the onboard IDE controllers, drive O is a virtual drive, G is just another partition of C, with C and F being hooked up to a Promise Ultra133 TX2 ATA controller. The problem also existed when the drives were hooked to the onboard controller.

2. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Norton antivirus enabled the :greddy: protected recycle bin for the drive, I forgot it does that by default. Disabled it and testing now :o

Update: Nope, that wasn't it :(

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  3. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

I figured it out. Norton was still grabbing it even though I disabled the protected recycle bin :confused:

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter