Disk Defragmenter Problem in XP Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

When I go to defragment my computer, it gets about half way done and says it was unable to defragment all files on my computer. It also says to see a list of these files to view the report. When I view the report it is blank.

2. Hediir

Hediir New Member

something wrong with hard drive?

3. etech

etech New Member

Download and run Ccleaner.

Save any passwords you need first.

Then run a full scan disk with all options checked.

Then try to defrag again.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yeah, my one hard drive in my server had that same exact problem. i had been converting .tivo files to .mpg files, the program i used would leave the totally fragmented

what i had to do was copy everything off the drive onto another drive, oddly enough that copying process made the files show up as not being fragmented on the second drive. then i copied back half of the files to the original drive and ran defrag...copied the other half and ran defrag again

i thought i could have sped it up by copying only half of the files and then trying to run defrag, but it would still error out

5. NeonImpact

NeonImpact New Member

CCleaner :bowdown:

6. TALLandNcharge

Believe me, I am a big fan of CCleaner and I have used it many times. Still no luck and I'm 99% sure the HDD is fine. I just recently (1 week ago) reformatted my computer. I'll try the full disk scan someone suggested.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I doubt the hard drive would need to be defragged being that you only formatted a week ago. It is good a good practice to keep up on it though.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It means you have some bigass files that are badly fragmented, and Windows Defragmenter can't find enough contiguous empty space to put them in so they won't be fragmented anymore.

You need to buy Norton Utilities and use Norton Speed Disk to defrag your hard drive. It will do a much better job than the Windows Defragmenter or DisKeeper (which is the basis for Windows Defragmenter).

9. TALLandNcharge

I did the full disk check and I am getting the same results. It is a laptop with a 160GB HDD and 93% of it is free. I have no idea what's going on... I'm stuck.

10. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

ScanDisk sucks. I've had times where I knew there was something wrong and scandisk just ran and finished and didn't say anything.

Open a commandline and run chkdsk and see what it tells you. If it sees a problem then you'll have to run: chkdsk /f c: and say Y(es) to run on restart.

I also agree with Norton Utilities with SpeedDisk but I also like PerfectDisk.

11. awns729

awns729 New Member

If you re-analyze, the fragmented files should show up then, I think.