Dish network/ Satellite TV Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mws0019, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mws0019

mws0019 New Member

I switched to Dish Network a little over a month ago and this is my first experience with satellite tv. My wife remembers the installation guy telling us that channels will "skip" once in awhile and that it is common with satellite. I dont remember him saying that, but I wanted to see if it was true?

We only watch HD channels, and the small skipping which almost seems like a lag happens about once every 10 min (sometimes less, sometimes more). It's more annoying than anything.

thanks

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

What do you mean by skipping? The station you watch freezes and looses picture for a few seconds? Or some channels don't show up at all when flipping through them?

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I have dish network for almost 10 years now...
    the only issue i have is that if i'm flipping through channels to quick and switching tuners at the same time, some channels will be blank for a couple seconds... but i have to be switching tuners AND flipping through channels for that to happen...

not sure about the skipping issue you're having.

4. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

This should only happen when its stormy outside. If it it doing it that often all the time, you need to have dish come out and re-align your dish. Your not getting a strong enough signal to keep the pic going.

5. mws0019

mws0019 New Member

sorry to disappear for awhile, I had class. By skipping , I mean the picture and audio freeze for about 2 seconds and then resume normally.

I will call dish and tell them of the problem.

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, that's not normal.. call dish...

also, if you have a dvr, sometimes the audio will go out of sync, just turn off and turn back on, or change the channel...

it's a weird glitch that happens...

7. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

I had dish for all of 2 months. I had the same problem. It would happen quite a bit. During the day, there would be skipping in my programs. At night, I wouldn't get some channels altogether. The weather was clear outside so I have no idea wtf the problem was. They did re-align the dish but the problem persisted.

I'll just say I was very disappointed with Dish. The picture quality on everything was mediocre at best, HD channels weren't that much more clear. I've since switched to FIOS and have ZERO problems.