"...discuss other options."

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Feb 22, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

My PowerBook has been at Apple almost two weeks now and the status has been "Waiting for parts." I spoke with someone at Apple and I lied and said this was for my in home business. He then putt in a part search and said it would take 24-48 hours. He said to call back on Tuesday and if the results show that they won't be getting the part for a while, then they will discuss "other options" with me. I asked him what that meant but he said he couldn't tell me until the part search results come back.

Anyone have any clue what that means? I'm assuming it would be the option of trading my PowerBook in for a discount on a new one. But how much of a discount?

What are the other possibilities? A 'rental' until mine is fixed?

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

ibmacbookpro :x:

I know more than one person who scored a base Mac Pro out of a busted liquid-cooled G5 they couldn't replace or fix. Whether its a straight trade out or a discount or whatever would probably depend on the age and specs but they seem to be fairly generous :dunno:

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

dude, if you play your cards right, you could get some new hardware out of this. :h5: Apple has internal policies about this sort of thing and the right person can authorize a new computer for you if yours is out for repair excessively long. :coold:

4. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Just got my MB back from Apple. I'm so damn happy I could fly to Cuppertino and kiss the CSR lady who helped me. What you get depends completely on WHO you have assisting you and not what you have (applecare for instance).

My MB is a Rev A that is over a yr out of WTY and they next day aired it to Apple and replaced the bottom case, top case, keyboard/trackpad, outer cover, Superdrive, HD cable, Battery main board connector, a brand new MagSafe Adapter, and about 9 other things that I don't quite understand because I don't recognize the part numbers. (100% complete new casing, looks brand new)

.....all this because I wrote and said "my MacBook has a crack in the case, can you help?"

My Superdrive was bought off ebay for $40 and I stuck it in there myself. It worked good for a month and started sticking a little when thicker DVDR's were inserted. I never mentioned this to them. When it got there they blew through it and replaced anything and everything they found that was not "perfect" and sent it back out to me in 24 hours flat. The total for the replacement parts was over $500, and the labor was about the same. The invoice returned to me said "covered under AppleCare". (the whole point being they knew it wasn't and still did it for me)

.......... let's go back to the part where it was over a yr out of wty and..... I bought it second hand.

If I had contacted an apple store or apple care I'd have been laughed at, rightly so. I went directly to Apple Corporate Executive Relations and spoke with a corporate CSR.

Nice folks. They have insured that I will buy Apple until I die.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

Can i get this CSR Ladies number? :x:

6. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I've been trying to decide if that's a good idea or not so I have held out on making a "praise" thread to Apple's Support team. What we have is a situation where if it becomes an issue where Apple gets a call to corporate customer support 1000 times a day, the people doing these favors are going to stop doing them. It only takes a little leaching to stop a good thing.

The corporate number, and no one specific, is (408) 996-1010 for the executive customer relations department. I hope that in itself doesn't make it to where these perks of certain extra help is not terminated, but that'll get you to the building at least. :)

If you get lucky and get through.... AppleCare or not, below will be the end result. (notice it went back twice in the same week, they accidentally put a CD drive in place of my superdrive because the model number said it came with a cd drive. They fixed it with another 24 hour overnight and gave me a brand new superdrive to replace my ebay superdrive :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130190824329) ( ...and yes I TOLD THEM I bought it on ebay. they said it doesn't matter it needs to work "correctly")

On the left is the first time it went, it was there all day long and reshipped the night of the day it got there. Sun up to sun down repair.... they went ALL the way through the book, gone 24 hours from my possession. On the right the dates show three days later it went back for the superdrive boo-boo and was back out in a few hours again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  7. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

...and my extremely out of wty, second hand, Rev A macbook

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

holy fuck. :eek3: way to go, I'm gonna file that little tidbit away for sure

9. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

I had issues with my keyboard / trackpad issues on my CD MBP. No Apple Care and no warranty. Emailed [email protected] and [email protected] and an Apple engineer called me about a week later. He helped me troubleshoot and he ended up thinking it was a hardware issue and suggested I bring it to the Apple store to repair which I had done before to have them look at it. Long story short I ended up paying $320 for them to repair it. New top case and keyboard. Really fast service though. I brought it in Sunday, they next day aired it to their repair depot in Austin, TX repaired on Tuesday, shipped back that day and I picked it up on Wednesday.

10. verbal

verbal Active Member

So, they might just give me a new one even trade? Or would I have to pay the difference?

About a year ago one of the memory slots died. There is a serial number range that Apple is fixing for free, but mine wasn't in the range. Took it to an Apple store when it happened and they refused to fix it for free out of warranty.

Took it to a new Apple store two weeks ago and the guy was cool as hell and did an exception. They received it Feb. 13th and it's been "Waiting for parts" since Feb. 14th.

:x: :x: :x:

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

if there was an apple store close i'd take mine in regularly to see if i can get done what you're getting done

13. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i've been having a power management problem where my macbook won't sleep on it's own, and has problems rebooting, i'm not sure if it is a hardware or software problem.. probably going to call the normal applecare number and see if they can figure out what is going on.

14. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

my MBP had a problem with the lid closing.. the right side hook wasnt locking

so i brought it in and they said they had to order parts so i took the computer with me.. 3 days later they said parts are in stock

so i brought it in the next day at 1030 am.. i got a call at 6pm saying i can come get it and that they were open until 8 pm :o

15. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

What problem rebooting? I have to do the trick where you boot with another mac via firewire to remove the 3rd party apps file that makes the boot hang up on the blue screen sometimes. I just haven't went out and bought the firewire cable yet to do it and remove the file.

16. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

There isn't a typical Apple email format.

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

when attempting to reboot, right before it should power down and restart, the screen goes black and the light indicating that the screen is asleep goes on and it just stays like that. It freezes there and i have to hold the power button down to restart.

what program causes the freezing for you? i'm pretty sure that the problem is either caused by software or a bad install of Leopard from a burnt single layer disc. Before putting Leopard on i didn't have this problem.

18. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

My backup Leo is on a burnt single layer disk and installed perfect. I think my conflict of third part apps came along when I started installing my windblows stuff after putting Fusion on. I don't have a clue which one it was so tonight I am planning on doing a few DVD backups of things and wiping it clean. Start over and boot after each program I install. Some have said it could even be my mouse (logitech trackman wheel mouse).

......this outta be a long night.

19. verbal

verbal Active Member

It's been fixed. :wtc:

Coincidence that they have it for two weeks and after I call and the guy mentions "other options" it's fixed that day? Bah.

20. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I need to do this... do you think they still have powerbook logic boards stocked up?

otherwise I might be able to score a MBP. :eek5: :x:

there's supposed to be new aple laptops march 2nd also. :eek3d:

edit: actually new laptop's tomorrow and best buy supposedly gets shipments by the 2nd :eek5:

21. verbal

verbal Active Member

Didn't work for me, so don't count on it. They've had mine for exactly two weeks. Felt like an eternity.

I'm just wondering if they put a rush on it since I called. I wouldn't doubt.

22. inamorata

inamorata New Member

is the part the top case? (IE the trackpad/keyboard area)

23. verbal

verbal Active Member

Logic board.

24. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Too bad they didn't upgrade you to an MBP, but honestly the PowerBook is the most solid computer ever produced by Apple and it's a damn fine machine.

I went from a 17" PB to a 13" MB and even with all the bells and whistles I still miss my PB.

25. verbal

verbal Active Member

Got my PowerBook back today. Apple fucking rocks. But I'm confused.

As I said in the original post, I had the lower memory slot issue but my serial number is out of the free repair range. Took it to the new Apple store and the genius was cool as hell and sent it in for a free repair. While I was there I questioned my battery-- it was almost three years old and only lasted 10 minutes on a full charge. He said they would fix the memory slot issue, but I'd have to buy a new battery.

I dealt with the bad memory slot for a year. I purchased a 1 gig chip and used that until I was able to pay to get it fixed.

Fast forward to today. I pick up the laptop and find they replaced the logic board AND gave me a new (refurbished probably) battery. You fucking ROCK Apple!

But....I'm then told that after replacing the logic they find out that my 1 gig Crucial chip is bad. :ugh: Mmmmk...didn't make much sense. Worked perfectly when I took it in. Why would replacing the logic board make go bad? I get home and put it back in and it works just fine. I installed one of my old 512 chips and now I'm sitting with 1.5 gigs. :wiggle:

Not sure what made them think this chip is bad. I'm thinking about finding a local store that can test it just to double check. But going by system performance, it seems to be just fine. :dunno: