LGBT discrimination question from a hetero

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Climbing Cracker, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

I've been taking a women's studies' course as a part of my Sociology minor. It's raised some interesting points and ideas I've honestly never considered (heterosexual advantages, heterosexism, etc). I live in the uber conservative south filled to the brim with people that believe homosexuality is a disease or defect without any real evidence to back it up. Faith-based arguments have little value to me, especially in terms of civil rights. Anyway, how many of you have felt discriminated against in your careers because of your sexuality? Do you feel like you need to mask yourself because of it? Have you ever been blatantly turned down for a job because of your sexuality?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Yes I have felt discriminated against in your careers because of my sexuality. Yes I have had to hide my homosexuality for most of my jobs I've had (Law Enforcement, Management). No because unless I tell you, 99%+ of people can't tell I'm gay :dunno:

3. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

Are there any laws against it?

4. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I have been fired from jobs, harassed on the street, discriminated against by family and other places of employment... welcome to being gay.

Are there laws against it, depends on where you live. It was perfectly legal to fire me for being gay... as for the discrimination stuff, probably but after a while you just go meh! and move on.

5. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

i don't think there are any laws against it here. since the rumor is that oral/anal is against the law here i doubt i'm going to see any civil rights laws including homosexual rights. :hsugh: that's such bullshit that you have to fight for your rights to be who you are.

here's to breaking the law i guess.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  6. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

No, there are no federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation. Some states, however, have passed such legislation. More commonly, companies have internal policies regulating such things (both positively and negatively)...

7. [Bartleby]

[Bartleby] New Member

I keep it to myself at work mainly because I keep it to myself all the time, and because I do not want to be "the gay guy". Even if it is accepted, I dont think being labeled "the gay guy" or everytime someone refers to me it will be followed by "oh isnt he gay".

^ Would piss me off, even if everyone is perfectly ok with me being gay.

At my last job i heard alto of fag jokes, but they werent directed at me, it was by peopel who assumed no one was gay around them.. that pissd me off, but as it was a small business I didnt feel like calling them out on it.

8. sholnay

sholnay New Member

its like that everywhere though. and if you were out, they would just wait till you're not around to tell the joke. :hs:

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I like that policy. I don't want to hear about anybody's weekend ass-getting (literally or figuratively) while I'm trying to do my work. It has nothing to do with the business, it should stay at home.