TAT Discrimination against people with tattoos/piercings.

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cerridwen, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I'll admit that sometimes I feel a little bit discriminatory against people with tattoos/piercings. I realized this last night when I caught myself thinking down on a person I saw in a store. Middle-aged woman with many tattoos and multiple piercings.
    Why do I feel this way? Especialy knowing that I have tattoos also?
    Does anyone else feel this way? :o

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I guess it would really depend on the 'type' of person. Someone that has a disheveled appearance would make me somewhat leery.

I don't really think visible piercings/tattoos would make a difference if they carried themselves well.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

That makes sense to me too actualy :) I just didn't think that far into it.

4. joy division

joy division New Member

If i see someone with a shitty tattoo , visible and obviously stupid, I will think the person with it is probably an idiot.

If the woman you saw had a bunch of shitty flash for example; like a scorpion on her arm/a tribal band/ some chinese character on her neck I would just walk around her going :hsugh:

If she had a full sleeve or something remotely unique I'd think nothing of it.

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

as joy division said, if they have bad tattoos i usually just ignore them.

if its just someone with tattoos i dont treat them any different.

6. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

speaking of discriminating against ppl w/tats. I go to Wyotech which is sposed to be the harvard of car schools. Well they shun on anything not professional, we have to be clean shaven everyday, no frays holes anything in clothing, shirts tucked in, no piercings, and you arent sposed to have any tattoos that are visible and you arent sposed to get anymore if you did have any while enrolled at the school. Well i started streetrod about 2 weeks ago and i have this younger instructor who is only 26 he totally blows the other 2 instructors out of the water and one is late 40s and late 50s. He was teaching the other day and rolled up his sleeves and pretty much the whole class went dead. He has 2 full sleeves of old school custom street rod theme, hes got a deuce coupe flames motorcycle chain iron crosses mooneyes all kinds of shit on there. And i asked him the other day how he got hired with the sleeves he said that day he wore a long sleeve shit just because of the sole fact he knew he wouldnt get hired at the school. I just think its kind of ironic because hes one of the best instructors to go thru the school from what ive seen and just because of the tattoos he wouldnt have gotten the job. But now that the school has seen the tats he kind of gets thrown to the side from all the higher powers at the school and doesnt really get the respect he deserves at the school just because of some tats.

7. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

I think it will get progressivly harder to discriminate based on tattoos simply because they are getting more and more popular with the younger demographic. (even if they are flash or lower back etc). But i know it will still be done just to maintain that 'profesional' look. Like I know the company my dad works for, LabCorp, has a no visible tattoo policy and he had to fire one of his better emplyees because they found some on her wrist or something. I dont agree with the policy, but obviously im not in any position to change it so... Shrug*

8. btm

btm New Member

i only feel this way towards people who have 93409304394094 piercings on their face alone.

i cant help but be like :ugh:

9. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

In a professional business enviroment, nah, they should be covered up?

Why? Not for the sake that I could give a shit, but for the sake of other people talking shit about you and causing workplace drama that would otherwise be needed.

If you go into a job interview with facial piercings or tattoos showing, you don't deserve to get that job, imho

Professionalism comes from inside, and the inside would know that there are many people that don't look to positively on tats/piercings, so cover em up when need be.

10. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

that's how i feel also..wow, i never really thought about this until i read it.

I mean, i won't be like "damn that person is stupid for getting those tattoos", but i'll be more like "gee, i wonder why they got it"

but most of the time i'll just look and won't think much about it

11. BaneBoi

BaneBoi ƒł٤şħ Ąđđίçŧ

I work in a very professional job, but I dont deal with customers face-to-face, and there isnt really a dress code. Most people dress "business casual" or higher (suits), but I wear tee-shirts and jeans most of the time. I also have 3 brow rings and a lip ring, and a slew of earrings. I've been here for over 6 years so most of the people are cool about it or just tease me... but its always fun to catch a new person in the hall or a new or temp receptionist at the door. "Excuse me, can I see your badge?"

Dealing with assholes kinda comes with the territory. I get pulled over, I have a routine: hazards on, car off, keys on dash, hands on wheel. Even then I get asked to get out of the car half the time, they smell something they couldnt possibly smell (drugs/booze when I havent been party'n), and they always ask about drugs/alcohol. People see "freak", they make assumptions... such is life.

12. beautiful disaster

beautiful disaster OT Supporter

i guess you could say i was smart about it and got them in places where they can be covered up when needed (back, stomach, etc..) i really did mine for myself and i could really care less about what other people think. but then again, when the day comes, i don't want people to think of me as the old hag with all the tattoos

13. firestarter810

firestarter810 New Member

I'm well on my way to full sleeves. I'm also a mechanic. I always thought that it was one of those "accepted" proffessions, but I notice more and more that some people, usually older, do not want to deal with me. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but its so stupid: the fact that I have pictures on my arms somehow inhibits my ability to work on your car? or use my brain in other circumstances? gee, who's stupid now?

14. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:bowrofl: :bowrofl:

And Heald is the Harvard of business schools. :hsugh:

15. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Both tats and piercings are pretty commonplace around here. Nobody really gives a second look unless it's something REALLY different.

16. 46&2

46&2 Self ******

Would you think differently if say you noticed surgon had a full sleeve right before he/she put you under?

17. quamen

quamen New Member

people look down on me all the time for my peircings and give me little respect. when i run my business and show up in a nice ride ready to conduct business, they ask where is the owner. I saw im the owner and then they are like damn.

18. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I've had people say the same about me with my tattoos and piercings. whenI'm at work all but my plugs come out and my tattoo is covered. The plugs often don't even get noticed so I pass as a 'normal' person inthe office. But then people see me outside of work or they get to know me and they say that same line "i never would've thought you'd be the type to have tattoos/piercings"...

19. firestarter810

firestarter810 New Member

I'm stubborn... I wear mine proudly... if you don't want to see em, you don't have to get your car fixed.

20. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I had a coworker who was talking down on somebody else that had just gotten a tattoo. She was saying how people with tattoos are very trashy etc.
    The look on her face when I showed her mine was priceless! :rofl:

21. Yukonart

Yukonart Active Member

Really depends on the people, though. Both my parents used to be uptight Catholics. They're still Catholic, but have learned to relax and enjoy life for a change. My mother loves my tattoo, and my 72 year old father kind of wants to get one like it on his shoulder, too. :bigthumb:

22. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

What a bunch of BS, especially in a line of work where that's always been more common than in nearly any other industry. I was thinking of going there and the local rep mentioned having to be clean shaven every day, but nothing about body mods. I'm sure he just figured I didn't look like the type since I have nothing visible at the moment and showed up to the interview clean cut and nicely dressed. :rofl:

Wyotech is definately trying to promote the idea of all their grads being true professionals, which is great, but I say let the quality of one's work show that, not a inforced dress code.

Hopefully with so many 'normal' young people getting visible work done, the standards will have to change in the future... go to any college campus and see how many studends have visible tattoos or piercings... I don't think employers will have as much of an option to discriminate in the future as they do now.

23. dymondboy2f

dymondboy2f Second place is the first loser.

I have my ears guaged to 5/8...only one of my employers has asked that I wear solid metal or black guages, one of my boss's had a visiable tattoo on his upper arm, and the other boss had both ears peirced (both men in there mid 30's) Also had a lip piercing for a bit, but that was at different job that didn't care, and the people I'd deal with everyday were weary at first but my work spoke for itself so they always over looked that, but people in general did treat me kinda different...which led to me taking it out...also had my tounge done for a bit, took a very slightly chipped tooth to finally make me take it out.

Also with tattoo's I think they should be hidden for certian jobs. Am I against them? No, I have them myself, but being on both my legs I hide them on the job (95% of jobs you go into make you wear long pants anyways). and like Joy said, when I see people with stupid tattoo's all over there arms/neck anywhere you can't hide I kinda do look down on them, cause I believe that they are stupid...now a sleeve that has hours and hours in it do I look down on? No, thats different, thats art. I was raised in a house hold where tattoo's and piercings were alright...so long as I could hide them. My dad asks me why I guaged my ears out from time to time, really all I can say is it was something I did years ago and haven't taken out cause I've had them so long, He was also there for my tat's and even paid for one as a gift, so I'm happy for that and that he doesn't think I'm low because of it.

24. hideon9

hideon9 The plane will take off.

I have a 2g piercing in my left ear and anytime I mention it around my dad he tells me that I'm going to regret it in the future. A couple weeks ago I told him I might be getting an industrial and his only reply was "I don't even want to know what that is."

My mom, on the other hand, has told me I can get any piercing/tattoo I want as long as I don't get my tongue pierced. She has 2 tattoos her self, along with bellybutton piercing, and 2 in each ear.

I havn't gotten any bad reactions from teachers or staff at my college, only a couple "eww, gross" reactions from other students.

25. joy division

joy division New Member

both my parents said after i was 18 i could do whateve ri wanted with my body. Little did they know i'd go crazy with some large tattoos, they freaked when they saw my ribs. For xmass i'm bringin home a large visible tattoo (to my elbow) so we'll see how that goes.