SRS Discouraged

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HyPE, Apr 10, 2007.

1. HyPE

HyPE ::OTTC Crew #2839::

hey, im not sure if this really belongs in the Asylum, but here goes...

so im finishing off my Computer Systems Technology diploma at the end of the year, but decided to try my hand at Co-Op through my school for the summer.

Ive already applied to probably 6 or 7 companies (i know, not a lot), and I have received not one interview :eek3:

I mean, I dont expect one right away, but most of my class mates are getting interviews while I just sit by and watch.

I thought maybe my resume or cover letter was underpar, but every person I enlist for help says that everything looks fine.

So i woke up this morning, feeling very discouraged and depressed. I know that I still have the rest of the month to get a job, but I just feel like giving up (trust me i know i shouldnt). I've never had a problem finding a job before, and all of a sudden, now that I actually have some decent skills, there are no jobs for me!! :ugh:

Anyways, I just needed to vent. Please give me some encouragement to continue looking and to keep trying.

On a side note, after typing all of this, I actually feel a little better :hsd:

If you read this this far, then thanks :wavey:

2. Well let's start with why you can't find a job. 1) the job market is curently poor, so there wil be times you will be discouraged. Don't let it get you down it i not your fault. 2) anything worth having, isn't easy to attain. To get an interview you must work hard towards that goal. None of what you said seems out of place. Maybe the level of job you are aspiring towards is more prestigious than your classmates' therefore it will take you more time to find a job than it will take them. You will find a job, just give it time and persevere towards that goal.

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I'd make the guess that your resume is par, or sub-par

A couple things to consider:

1) Cover letter is the absolute most important thing. If your cover letter doesn't give them a good reason to look at the rest of your resume, odds are, they wont. In a cover letter, dont just tell them you're interested in working for them, etc, etc, directly spell out for them just why you think they should hire you, and what you can bring to their organization. You have to be a salesperson here. Make them think 'how can I afford to NOT hire him?'

2) Many large companies use keyword scanners, and if your resume doesn't have those keywords, then they wont even read your resume. Avoid using general statements like 'experience with computers'. Spell out exactly what you know and can do, and even if its partial experience/competence, spell that out too. Never use a vague term to describe your abilities.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

if you wish, post your resume here and we'll nitpick it

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

About the depression part, don't worry about. If you been fired as much and searched for tons of jobs like i have, then at one moment you won't care anymore if you get rejected. In the beginning when you are inexperienced you tend to attach yourself emotionally , but then later you come to think that its an insane thing to do, simply if you look at the economy its always fluctuating and the job market is a very unstable thing, that's why people say 'my job is not my life' , and when you mature you will understand that concept. Work is just a formality, and when seeking a job, a unpersonal approuch doesn't work all that well.

The best thing you can do is go for the personal contact. Things like e-mail,internet, writing a letter they just stack your letter under the pile of other letters and forget you, internet is virtual and what you want is REAL contact, and a real job, e-mails , who still reads em? There are plenty of people who are supposedly to be contacted that way who never bother to read, these things are all unpersonal and although they do help to some extend, don't count on them.

My advice would be this, Just look at advertisements in the newspaper, search for an oppertunity, and you who can forfill that need. Second thought is goto a job agency who can do the searching for you. When having an interview, write a resume about you, don't show it until they ask for it. Always speak positive, tell them what they like to hear. Only those things that will make the boss think, i could use this person for this and that. Its all about being a valuable asset to the company.

I know it is discouraging, however don't let a problem put your life on a halt.There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our inherent weakness of purpose.

6. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Darketernal has reminded me of one other aspect of job-seeking.

Always, always, always, try to put your resume personally, directly into the hands of the person who is in charge of hiring. While that is not always possible, do your best.

Secondly, after delivering your resume, wait about three or four days, then call and ask if they'd had a chance to review it, or stop by and ask in person. Keep doing this until they give you a direct answer with regards to whether they'll hire you.

Mondays between 10 and 11am are the best time to both deliver the resume and call for an update.

7. HyPE

thanks for your reply. ive been hearing this a lot, and I know my cover letter is definitely sub-par, but writing one isnt my strong point. Ill take your advice and re-do my cover letter and try to "sell" myself to them.

8. HyPE

im not sure if id feel too comfortable about posting my resume here, but i will definitely take your advice. I will go out later this week, possibly tomorrow, and personally hand them out to potential employers.

thanks for your help! :wavey:

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

post it here for us to read over, we can make some improvements im sure.

The key is to not be wordy, but get your point across. You have to keep in mind, these people get 11tybillion resumes a day, so you dont want yours to be the typical bland resume. You want him to read the cover letter and think 'hmm... this guy might be just what we need'

This is also why it pays to know the business of who you're applying for. Your resume cover letter should differ from company to company, depending on what they do exactly.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:dunno: blank out all the names and information, so it'll just be a generic resume?

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

oh, and, keep in mind, a lot of places wont even look at a resume until the person calls them to check up on it a few times. It's one way of determining who really wants the job, and who's just throwing their resume around

12. HyPE

k, here's my resume and cover letter. whoever can, please let me know what sorts of improvements/revisions can be made

i know its a shitty resume but i guess we've all gotta start somewhere, right?

Cover Letter
    Resume

thanks for any input! :)

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

What criteria? Instead of saying 'based on your criteria', try saying what skills/abilities you have which address those criteria, without actually referring to their criteria.

For example, if they say that they want someone with 4+ years working with UNIX, then say 'I have 8 years UNIX experience', etc

This section is quite vague. There are many windows OSes, which one(s) do you have experience with? Do you have any experience with Vista yet? That would be very key right now, as there are bound to be many users with Vista who have no idea how to configure it, and since it's new, not so many help-desk types will have experience with it.

List the OSes you are familiar with, and I'd recommend adding 'familiarizing myself with Vista' if you dont have any experience with it yet, and then getting a copy and doing just that.

As for the hardware/software, you're applying for Shaw the ISP right? I'd recommend specifying browsers you know (firefox, opera, IE, etc), as well as hardware that is applicable to internet, ie: router setups, NICs, etc.

I have to run to class, but I'll be back on later
    [/FONT]

14. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

:bowdown: That's a really good idea...perhaps the collective here in the Asylum can do something, but I'm willing to give his CV a look-see.

15. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I had to get my resume done by my professor who worked HR for the governmetn in washington...and she did a killer job but it hasnt helped me so your not the only one!