MMA Discipline oriented academies vs Laid back academies

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GeeGee, Oct 31, 2008.

1. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

So, I have always trained at a laid back BJJ spot and I love it. We can come in whenever we want, say whatever we want.. etc, etc. I think it creates a great friendly atmosphere but I will admit that there is a lot of horsing around.

On the other hand, I recently tried out a free week [long story] at a local Renzo affiliate taught by Gordinho and they are the exact opposite. If you're late, then you can't train. They keep an attendance sheet. You have to wear the Renzo Gi. You cant talk too much or do anything remotely disrespectful.

To be honest, I could live with that but I'de much rather train at a laid back spot. I mean, afterall, I am paying for it and its a hobby like I am sure it is for most people.

What do you guys think about this? How is your gym and which atmosphere do you prefer?

[Renzo is also way too expensive, forget that. I prefer my current spot. No disrespect to db.]

2. teep

teep New Member

i prefer the laid back atmosphere. that's what my gym's like. people come and go as they please, lots of horsing around and fun, but the training is serious when it should be.

3. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I agree, and I don't see if a difference in skill levels from one to the other either. If anything, our gym is very competition focused and therefore, trains accordingly.

4. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

I learned a lot more from a laid back atmosphere. I also prefer to train and learn with friends...than with an instructor and fellow students.

In other news the black Renzo Gi is hot as fuck but costs like $200 :rofl:. I have no idea what to expect at that place we are rolling at tonight. I do expect Damian to blast me with some catch wrestling shit :rofl:

5. rtzcom

Same thing as my striking MMA gym. The coach understands that a lot of us have day jobs and shit happens...so its ok that we can't go to class or come in late.

Horsing around is there to make the environment fun and it actually builds fellowship among students.

Once training starts we all take it very seriously...even though a fart here and there just makes us erupt in laughter :rofl:

6. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

That place tonight is just free rolling at his uncle's gym against him and his buddies. It's not bad.

7. teep

teep New Member

gay to the max. we don't even have classes unless it's jiu jitsu :mamoru: half the time i'll be doing muay thai one day and realize there isn't anyone to spar with so i just hop in on the jiu jitsu class right in the middle of it

8. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Yea, that's what I said. I'm on Brazilian time man. Im never late.. something just came up.:)

9. rtzcom

Just like Filipino time...but we don't have any reasons, we just come in late LOL

ATT falls between a laid back and strict class atmosphere. The only thing that really sucks is the large class size.

10. Titus

Titus New Member

i was at a strict place and couldn't stand it. the only reason i train is because i enjoy it, no reason to train at a place that is unpleasant. i'm now with a pretty laid back crowd that can get things accomplished and also fuck around at the same time.

11. Sylva

Sylva New Member

The school I train at is kind of in the middle. Everyone is strict and respectful when they should be, but there are also plenty of times when everyones(instructors included) clown around and are laid back as fuck.

12. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Laid back. You get just as good training and you LIKE doing it.

13. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I much prefer a laid back gym.

14. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i like something in between the two.. sometimes guys sit around at my academy and talk too much. i'm looking around for someone to drill some technique with and theyre busy gossiping and crap

15. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

im at laid back. personally i think a little too laid back. Im not that good and would like to run more drills and stuff, but sometimes all the blue and purples are just chit chattign and bullshitting. Kinda sucks sometimes.

16. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i'm at a REALLY laid back gym. people just usally do whatever they like but they work when they need to. Whenever other
    blackbelts show up for seminars or stay to teach classes they're always like :ugh:

17. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Mine is probably 70/30 (laid back/discipline). I like it. My coach jokes around and isn't super serious all the time, he takes teaching serious but still has a good time if that makes sense. Even when Renato came by for a seminar he had a similar teaching method. He was a little more serious but joked around a lot too. You have to have fun doing this shit, if it's not fun then what's the point?

18. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

I've had bad experiences with laid back. Like for example, 4 or 5 classes in a row, the teacher would be like, hey, just open mat today

19. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Thats not being laid back, that is just lazy coaching.

The place i train at is very laid back, but when it comes to drills its very important that every student can do and accomplish the drill and understand the concepts behind it. Understanding and learning take priority... then comes being laid back.

Personally i prefer laid back, cause it reflects the kind of guy i am. I have played and trained in highly strict competitive sports for a long time (volleyball, yeah might seem like a girl sport, but its unbelievable how seriously people take that sport). and i trained with a few different teams and players, and personally the skill level does not change between a laid back atmosphere and a strict atmosphere, so why not train where you are more comfortable?

20. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

my gym is kinda half and half
    the "head instructor" comes from a japanese style of teaching

bowing before entering and leaving the training area..
    if your late you do push ups or some sort of extra work..
    if you are talking and not paying attention to what is being taught he would let you know to stop it, but i think that is more because he wants you to learn
    we line up according to rank

the instructors joke around a lot tho... it is a good mix

and if your close to the instructors they bust your balls and make fun of you alot in class

21. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Laid back >>>> nazi school.

I'm friends with most of my training partners and am a grown ass man. I don't need to be treated like a fucking idiot child and scolded for joking around.

22. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

i'd be really pissed if he didn't let me train

"give me my fucking money back"

23. less_than_adam

less_than_adam New Member

Yeah this is a lot like my gym. During instruction everyone is quiet and respectful. If people are consistently late he will have them do burpees or something, but if you just happen to be late one day it isn't a big deal. It is a pretty good environment.

24. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

Although i gotta say, days like this i wish we were more strict. Ten guys stood in front of the gym for like 30 minutes today and our trainer was a no show. Nobody else has the key :sad2:

25. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

i was gonna ask your opinion on the "strictness" of new breed. for me it was kind of a weird balance between the two. the classes are very orderly and structured. bowing, handshakes afterwards and all that.
    but after class is over there is a lot of informal training, chilling, and drilling going on.