Disabling Exchange on SBS 2k3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

We have a Dell Poweredge server here at work that came preloaded with Small Business server 2003. I have noticed that a one or two processes are jacking some processor and memory resources. After some research, I found that they are related to MS Exchange.. but given that we are not using Exchange, I should be able to just shut it down.

But I don't know how. I dont really want to uninstall it... b/c the use of Exchange down the road is still a possibility... so I just want it disabled/turned off for the time being.

Any thoughts or directions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

disabling the services should do it

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

ok... upon further looking... the process is Mad.exe.

its a MS Exchange process... but i've looked it up and everything i see says its mandatory to the system's stability. this would be cool, but it is eating up almost 400MB worth of my memory. we have 1GB on that machine, but still.... half my memory going to a process that i dont think is doing anything is a little absurd.

any more help on how to either get rid of the process, or tweak it down so it doesnt hog up my memory?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's only mandatory if you're using exchange.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

ooh. that makes sense... considering i havent seen it onmy other server just running Server 2003 Enterprise.

some of the Exchange Services are already stopped, probably since i never fully used/setup Exchange. i'll see if i can stop the ones that are on auto/started and see if it fixes my problem. unfortunately, this is my webserver, so i should probably wait until a relative downtime so our website isnt killed.