MMA Dirty boxing

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Dec 29, 2005.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I feel like since this type of boxing (holding and hitting) is not practiced diversly, but is very effective as shown by many fighters (randy, donfrye/takayama :mamoru:). Anyways do you guys practice it when you box? I always try to get a few good punches in like that when using small gloves to practice stand up.

2. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

I love to throw forearms in a clinch. They can be devastating in close. Getting good power behind short arm punches is tough, though. Punching in the clinch is a good annoyance/point scoring tactic when tied up, but probably not going to get a KO off of one.

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I concur forearm strikes have grown into a good piece of my arsenal as well

4. floppycheif

floppycheif dirty boxing

On the flipside I think punches from the clinch can just as devastating as a punch in a non clinch situation. Power from punches as we all know comes from movement. Its possible and not a stretch to throw full power uppercuts and shovel hooks from the clinch, you just need to move the clinchee in position (which really is nothing new, the whole point of the clinch is control). I also agree forearms and elbows can be brutal from the clinch. Pushing an opponent away with your forearms then twisting your hips for a tight mean shovel hook can be a rude awakining for someone who takes the clinch lightly.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

No I don't practice punching in the clinch. In a real life situation I'd try to come off a bit and use elbows if knees were't working out, but my first move would be to go for the knees, if not that then the clinch is no good IMO.

And if you're talking straight boxing, no I don't practice clinch punching.

In that position knees are ideal and if elbows are allowed or it's a streeth fight, that's your next best bet. An elbow to the head is so devastating when planted correctly, which I believe is the exact reason why PRIDE simply doesn't allow elbows to the head at all. It's a good thing most UFC fighters don't know how to throw a decent elbow or some of them would be getting seriously injured (or maybe they're just good guys trying to win by cut rather than KO :dunno: but they never use proper form and they never actually seem to hit hard, just scrape the forehead etc looking for a cut)