Dirtbike guys I need your help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fst89lx, Apr 9, 2003.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I went with a friend of mine to the local atv/dirtbike/snowmobile retailer to look at dirtbikes with him, the salesman was trying to talk us into a pair of 2002 rm125's (threw out a rough figure of 4700 each out the door w/ helmet and goggles). I don't really have the money for a new bike so I am looking at getting a used one.

I don't have a brand preference, but would like to know which one(s) to steer clear of. what are the most important things to look at on a used bike, like what is most likely to be worn/broke. I am probably looking at a bike that is in the '95-'98 years because I would like to keep the costs to a maximum of $2500. I am sure I will have more but that is all that comes to mind right now.

BTW I am only talking about 125's, the same friend I went to the retailer w/ had a honda cr250 and it scared the shit out of me, way too much for me.

2. Demo Dick

Demo Dick I will treat you all alike. Just Like Shit!

depending on how big you are..I would go after a 250 you will become not scared of it very quickly, & you can actually be a little lazier on the clutch on a 250, on a 125 you have to really keep that thing in the powerband or you go nowhere. The 125 hit pretty hard as well, but the powerband is much narrower.

Now that said. I have always been a Honda Guy. The thing with a 2 stroke is you have to expect the motor to have some wear & tear, but they are ass simple to rebuild.

Some other things to look out for.

Forks-Really bounce up & down on the thing to check for any fluid leaking out of the fork seals.

Rear shock- make sure the thing does not just bounce all around, if it does the shock could be toast.

Hubs - check the spokes where they go into the hubs. If the bike is beat & the wheels have not been looked after you will see the spokes starting to round out the holes in the hubs. Also look for loose spokes.

Sprockets/Chain - Although not that expensive to replace, if the sprockets are worn chances are you are going to need new ones & a new chain soon.

Also take a good look where both the shifter & the kick starter attach to the motor. sometimes people strip the shafts that these connect to the motor with & really rig some things up just to sell the bike. Then next thing you know you are tearing apart the motor to put a new shaft in it.

Lastly I would take a good look at the bottom of the motor (aka the case) & look for any cracks or signs of a it taking a big hit, a cracked case well...I am sure you can imagine how bad that would be. I actually looked a a bike once that was cherry except for the JB WELD holding the case together.

Hope this helps

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I am 6' and 187lbs now, should be down to mid/high 160's for summer. I don't know about the 250... I think I should stick on a 125 for the first 1-2 yrs and see how I handle it. Plus my parents are giving me the riot act for getting a bike anyway so I figure thats another reason to go w/ the smaller one.

After talking to my friend and some others in my area, I am really looking into RM's or CR's. I did however find a 99yz125 for like 1900 in ohio but its like a 5hr drive and that price seems too good to be true.

4. RedVVing19

RedVVing19 Steve Yzerman > Hockey

Okay, first of all are only a few people that ride dirt bikes on here

I just bought a 01 YZ250 a month ago for 3,100. I have done tons of research and can provide you with links for what to look for when buying a used bike.

just AIM me or ICQ me, ill hook you up *see below for bike* :)