Dirt Bike Crew: CRF450X or WR450F

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PUREVIL, Dec 4, 2005.

1. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

After much thought I decided to put my dream of owning a supermoto on hold. I dont want to insure 2 street bikes. I just sold my banshee in august and I miss riding in dirt (rode quads for 20 years). I decided on 2 models, the honda CRF450X and the Yami WR450. Im a yami fan, I've owned a blaster, banshee, and 2 R1s (01 and 04). But the Honda CRF has some good credentials as well. I sat on both at the Seattle bike show yesterday and I felt the Honda was a lil more comfy, but I dont really care about that, its how they ride is what really matters. I choose these two because I dont have any plans for racing MX, I just like to ride trails, freeride, wheelie, and jump. Plus electric start is nice too. So anyone have any experience with either one? Pros and Cons, suggestions? Thanks.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I'd go for the WR.

Several aspects of Honda's engine design leaves something to be desired on a trail bike IMO. I'll go into detail if you want. And for the CRF sackriders, no I'm not talking about valves.

This is coming from a guy who owns two Hondas.

3. PUREVIL

Interesting someone on another forum said the samething about the pistons, valves, etc.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The 450 Hondas havent had nearly the frequency of valve issues that the 250Fs have. Which I think stems from the sustained high revs required by the 250Fs.

I dont like Honda's 2 ring piston design though.

For trail riding I'd rather give up a little power for reliability. The WRs seem to be able to hold up well with good maintenance. The jury is still out on the 450X.

I'd also look at a KTM, they seem to be good bikes and have quite the following these days.

5. PUREVIL

Awesome thanks..... Im hoping more people reply.

6. KDXman

KDXman New Member

Get the 450X

7. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

Yamaha > *

8. Fetish

Fetish OT Supporter

9. KDXman

KDXman New Member

I ride yamaha and wouldnt really ride anything else but between these two bikes the 450X is more ready to go out of the box

10. PUREVIL

Sold! Im getting the 450X probably closer to spring time.

11. Paintballer

Paintballer Choo Choooo....

So what made you decide against the yamaha?

12. PUREVIL

You know honestly Im not sure..... I really love the YZ 50th anniversary bike. But for some reason I like the X over the WR. I dont care for honda and kawi street bikes, but for dirt I like the hondas and if the kawi had a model similar to the X and WR I'd consider it.

I read a few reviews on thumpertalk.com and everyone just praises the 450X.... one guy said he liked it over his R on all kinds of riding except mx trackings, which makes sense. He said the R wasnt a good trail and woods bike.

13. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Did you look at a KTM 300EXC? Zero uncorking needed, less weight and more power than the 450 offroad bikes.

14. PUREVIL

Nope I dont really trust KTMs reliability after reading some reviews.

15. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Reviews where and for which bike?

I know 4 or 5 guys that have beat on KTM300's over the past few years and none of them have had any problems.

16. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

^Yeah, I don't have any personal experience of them. But always heard they would take a beating.

17. PUREVIL

I read some reviews on thumper talk and my advice from my mechanic in vancouver. Plus a friend of mine had a SM KTM and that fucker broke down more than he rode it. So thats why I didn't really look at KTMs.

18. boomer69

boomer69 New Member

Yamaha=proven realibilty. Honda=innovative, 2nd in realibility. KTM= the little guy tries hard, parts are expensive, rear suspension sucks. I ride a CR250 Honda have been known to slap on bark busters and a 13oz flywheel weight for the woods. I'm a died in the wool 2-stroke fan after seing a $3700 bill on 2004 KX250F.......I'd have left it there (stealership).

19. rx7racer11

rx7racer11 Own The Racetrack

i've had the honda 450 and it is the best trail bike I have ever owned. the yami doesnt even hold a candle to the reliability and walk away power. the only thing is first gear is a little tall

20. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I've heard of A LOT of engine problems (mostly valve related) with the Honda 4-strokes. I personally didin't like the way the WR felt when I sat on it at the stealership. IMHO, for off road riding/racing, your best bet is KTM... I am a serious harescramble racer and I love my 450 katoom...

21. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

LOL... The offroad/harescramble series I run is about 50% KTM and we are sold on KTM's being more reliable than the Jap bikes... I was seriously looking at adding a crf450R to my stable as a dedicated mx bike, but decided against it as just about everyone I talked to at the track w/ a Honda 4-stroke (esp 250's) had already had to do major engine work... I'm thinking of adding a new inferior ktm 450sx (inferior at mx) based soley on my personal experiences with ktm reliability...

22. PUREVIL

Well thats your opinion and experience.... I said I have none and Im going by what people are telling me. And everyone i've been talking to about bikes in Vancouver KTMs seem to have the most problems. I read that honda has valve problems as well but its mostly from racing, guys that dont race dont seem to have a problem. As I stated Im not racing... Im just trail riding, jumpin and doing wheelies.

23. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Since you aren't racing, would a Honda XR meet your needs?? Those bikes are pretty much bullet proof...

I have broken plenty of parts on my ktm, but I am a VERY agressive rider who races 15-20 times per season and practices hard 2-5 hours per week... The engine and drive train have been totally reliable though (knock on wood)...

24. PUREVIL

I looked at the XRs and they are air cooled no? For some reason I thought they were air cooled. Plus they look big and bulky, I think the 450X is perfect for me.

25. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

An XR would do you just fine. Scott Summers raced (and won) on them for years. The XR600 was the Baja king for years until the XR650R came out.

I'd about guarantee that a good majority of the people that buy high performance 4 strokes would be just as fast on an XR. The high perf bikes (especially the Hondas) have quite a rigorous maintenence schedule. The XR needs an oil change every couple hundred miles (filter every other), air filter when its dirty, and a valve adjustment every 6 months if its ridden a moderate amount

I have to laugh a little bit at the claim of the 450X topping the WR in reliability. The 450X has only been out for a year, its an apples and oranges comparison right now. I keep hearing about 450X trannies locking up too. :dunno:

I still think a KTM300 is the bike to seriously look at.