DirectX SDK Versions Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RanciD, Sep 13, 2003.

1. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Hey.. I'm doing a project for my high school class writing a pretty simple 2D game in C++ using DirectX. Right now I'm working out of a book the teacher gave me, "Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX", however it's a little out of date and has me using the DirectX 8.0 SDK. Everything in the book is pretty simple as it's designed for beginners with DirectX like myself. My question is if I got a newer version of the DirectX SDK would it be similar enough to 8.0 that it wouldn't require any changing to my pretty simple code? I know in 8.0 they completely got rid of DirectDraw and combined it all into Direct3D, so if something like that happened again in a newer version then I'd imagine I'd have to make some code changes.. So should I just stick with 8.0 or chance a newer version?

Also, can you (legally) download the DirectX SDK off the Microsoft page or something or do you have to purchase it? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but the book I'm using came with a CD that has the 8.0 SDK so I already had it available.

Thanks a lot!

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

all version of DirectX SHOULD be backwards compatible. Who knows if they really are or not though, but you should be fine i think. For instance, older games were developed on earlier directX versions, and therefore SHOULD be ok if you were to upgrade your DirectX version (runtime) to a newer version. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Yes, the SDK is free and here is the link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-9dfd-4e7a-b947-3a037ccf84af&DisplayLang=en

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003