Directron.com Store Review: Good PC Parts Store

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr. Monopoly, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

*Note: I am not employed by Directron.com. This is an unbiased review.

Whenever I think of all the companies that I have delt with, some of the most popular come to mind. We've all heard of Microsoft, Dell, IBM, and many more. They are considered to be at the forefront of technology. Unfortunately for the consumer, whenever you purchase an item from them, you usually end up paying for that reputation tenfold. Contrary to what one might think, however, those companies don't earn the money that they recieve. As you buy their brand, you become just another customer number. No one really cares who you are or what you spend. You just pad their wallets. To make things worse, they also don't allow you to purchase just one part from them. If you want something, you pay for the whole computer system. Think about it. When is the last time you heard an Hewlett Packard owner say, "I needed my motherboard upgraded, so I went to HP.com and bought myself a new board?" I garuntee it wasn't anytime recent. Most companies seem to want to get you a PC and get you out of the way. Upgrades and the like become your problem. Support becomes non-exsistant and service becomes a joke. That's why I went looking for someone who really earned my dollars.
    The item that I was searching for happened to be a Lime Green X-Infinity Green case. For those unfamiliar with the brand, Aspire is in the top Echelon of computer design. All of their cases are made of a solid aluminum with a brushed metal inside. They also offer nicer, more diverse options in colors and cooling. The case that I picked also came with a three hundred and fifty watt power supply. So what I was working with was a case armed and ready to go. Whenever you order their products, you can expect a top quality build. What is sad, though, is that you will pay for that quality most anywhere you find it. The case also came equipped with a Since I was on a low budget, I thought purchasing such a high tier case was out of the question. It turns out that I was wrong. Before reading any further though, you should know that the MSRP for the case was $89.00.

I encounted Directron.com while searching through my favorite search engine (Google.) I had typed in Aspire X-Infinity Case or something similar to that. I came across several websites that were more than happy to sell the case to me. For around eighty dollars. Now right now, I am getting ready to go to college. Anybody who's been lately can tell you that that isn't cheap. Since I will be majoring in Computer Information Systems, I knew that I would need a decent PC. My problem was that I didn't have enough money just to blow though a grand or two to build a top shelf PC. I needed great components at a ridoculously cheap price. Directron.com delivered. As I searched through Directron.com, I was impressed with the simplicity of their site. There were no unsecessary graphics or animations. ( I deemed it the "Get In, Get Out" interface. It was uncomplicated, and yet, it seemed to give me all the factoids that I needed to know. This went great along with the fact that I was on a cripplingly slow 56 Kilobyte connection. I don't know if competitors missed the lesson in marketing or not, but consumers usually don't like to waste time. I don't have the time to sit and watch all the loading screens which then lead to a useless logo flashing in fromt of my face. That didn't seem to be a problem with Directron. I saw the catagories clearly laid out on the right hand side of the site. All of them were good old fashioned text hyperlinks too. After going through a few of the case listings, I found my Aspire X-Infinity Lime Green case. Big deal, I thought. I've seen it on God only knows how many other websites. They all want $89-$90. What really made my jaw hit the floor was the price that Directron.com wanted for it. Not Ninety, Eighty, or Even Seventy dollars. The case was $69.00 plus shipping and handling. Oh Happy Day immediatly started playing in my head. Instead of just hitting the Add to Cart option, though, I went and did more research about Directron. I wan't willing to blow my money just because a site claims to have a product. I couln't afford a con job, and I wasn't going to receive one. My first stop was the Better Business Beauru's website, BBB.org. After typing in the Directron web address, a business report came up. It wasn't littered with complaints and unresolved issues, much to my surprise. They only had a few complaints, and all were resolved quickly and curteosly, according to the people that had filed the complaints. Another positive point for Directron, and another few steps closer to applying my credit card. Next, I went back through Google and read a few customer reviews of them. All seemed to be positive, and I seemed to have problems finding a negative complaint. This is a very rare feat considering today's picky consumer. I realized this, of course, but I did want a company who didn't have a line in front of their complaint desk. I was satisfied with their reputation, so I moved to my final series of checkpoints. I contacted the cmpany itself. I sent out a test email to see if, and how long it would take for me to get a response. I was pleased to learn that in 24 hours, I had recieved an informed response, not just a general form letter. All the questions that I had asked had been answered, so I was satisfied. I placed my order.

As the checkout process begin, I found out that the site's paying interface didn't disappoint. Every page that asked for my personal information was equipped with a Secure Socket (SSL) Connection. This aids in your privacy and is especially helpful to guard against identity theft. All information is encyrpted and sent directly to Directron.com. No one can intercept it and decrpyt my Credit Card number and charge it up. The first page asked me for some basic information. My first and last name, my mailing address, my phone number, my email address, and a few more pesonal facts. They used this information to create my account with them and make my future purchases even easier. Page Two came equipped with my credit card information slot. The usual facts were asked here as well. Credit card number, Expiration date, and a few other factoids were required to continue. The last page asked me for some useful information that other companies didn't seem to care about. They wanted to know where I could be contacted if there was a problem with my order, what special instructions that I had for shipping, and where I heard about them from. I was actually surprised that they cared about and planned ahead in case of emergency. It's little details like this that keep a company in my mind. The shipping and handling was calculated and my order was set. The final price: $77.00. That was well below the price of the other sites, and those hadn't even added shipping yet. I shudder to think what they would have cost me. I didn't have any slow shipping. UPS Ground. I figured that I might have my case in two weeks if I was lucky. That didn't bother me because I didn't have a problem with waiting. I got a confirmation email within five minutes of my order. They even included an option to change or cancel my order in case it had been improperly placed. The cancel option only had a limited time option for obvious reasons. A company can not stay in business if people repeatedly order and cancel. I checked out the rest of the site that night and saw the shipping chart. Apparently, I live so close to the company that my package was supposed to take one day. Yeah right. My sarcasm had been activated and my doubt was starting to build. Ture to their word however, a package was delivered to me in 1 business day! I've purchased items from next door that took longer to get to my doorstep. I opened the box to find out that everything was exactly as described. No damage was done to my components during shipping or packing. The case applique that I had also purchased was tucked neatly inside the box. My order was complete and I was impressed with the superior quality of service that I had received.

Is an individual experience the only one that can be enjoyed by Directron.com? Of course not. The site also provides services for larger companies. What I neglected to mention about the ordering process is that larger scale companies are also catered to. They even offer preferred customer discounts for repeat companies. I thought this would be really useful for all who purchase in bulk. In a matter of no time, you can be enjoying major discounts from your next purchase. The site also gives away free parts and tools with purchase. The list of offers and requirements is listed on the "Free Items" page. Also, credit cards, although the most popular, aren't the only way to pay. The site makes special considerations for Purchase Orders, Checks, and Money Orders. For all those, (like me a little while ago) who don't have credit cards, you don't have to shy away and accept sub par companies with questionable reputations. Directron.com has you covered. Also, you aren't up the creek if your transactions don't turn out as well as mine did. This company has an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) section with a very leinant policy.

As I sit next to my computer case, now powered up to all its glory, I can't help but credit Directron.com with a job well done. I had an all around good experience with them and their staff. They will definitly be recieiving my purchases and money in the future. I can't find one problem with their site or their game winning formula for a customer service section. Everything about their site seems to be perfect no matter what kind of situation or computer purchase you want to make. Since writing this review, I have made several more purchases from Directron.com and still have yet to find trouble. Everything is handled in an honest and trustworthy way befitting a reputable business. I would whole heartedly encourage anyone looking for a good deal and great service to check out Directron.com. You can check everything written in this review for yourself to find out that it is all true. I just felt that the computer community deserved to know about somewhere to get good deals.

Here Are Some Pictures of the Case:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I encourage you to visit http://www.directron.com for more information.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Turbolink PSU? no thanks.

3. Mr. Monopoly

Hey, they're a good company though. The case is a matter of preference.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

back the truck up.... did you just say turbolink was a GOOD company? :gtfo:

turbolink makes some of the *worst* psus. The reason they are found so-often in crappy cases is because they are soooo cheap.

5. Mr. Monopoly

No I know Turbo sucks. I have since replaced the power supply with a 500 Watt one. I said Directron.com was a good company.

6. Javi

Javi New Member

Yeah, directron is good. I've bought a case from them as well. Still use it to this day! Also bought a linksys router from them as well, along with a couple of other things.