director commentaries

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by φ, Aug 5, 2005.

1. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

i rented lemony snickets cause i thought it might be good, however i was sorely mistaken. Anyway, has anyone listened to the commentaries with Lemony Snickets? Is that just one big sarcastic joke or what? It's been a while since i rented it so i can't remember exactly what they said but it was really weird to me at the time.

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

It's not Lemony Snickets.

It is Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.
    As in John Carpenter's Escape From New York.

I just needed to nitpick.

3. φ

and you're a better person for it

4. Dr. Cool

Dr. Cool PHD in AWESOME

:rolleyes: Because there are so many movies that start out lemony snickets....

5. Joe_Cool

There are NO movies that start out lemony snickets. Lemony Snicket is the author (his pen name, anyway). The 's shows possession. It is a movie called "A Series of Unfortunate Events" from the author Lemony Snicket.

So it's called Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

6. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

Lemony Snicket isnt an author, lemony snicket is a fictional author in the series. There is no lemony snicket, so the movies name is actually lemony snicket's a series of unfortunate events.

to the original poster i would say yes that the director's commentary was on long sarcastic joke, I dont know how you could have been disappointed with the movie. I thought it translated extremely well from the books, maybe you werent a fan of the books and therefore didnt get the movie or its humor which is most likely the case if you didnt pick up on the sarcasm of the commentary.

edit: i completely understand what you are trying to say about what the actual title would be if lemony snicket were actually a writer instead of a character, but the fact that this story is being told by lemony snicket is as important as any other piece of information and is really important to be part of the title.

7. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

People actually listen to the commentaries??

8. φ

i didnt know that they would talk for the whole two hours, I just started watching it and listened for the whole thing. Some of it was pretty funny shit, what with the brit and all. ( i dont care if he's brit or not, dont correct me)

No i have't read the books, should I? From what the guy was saying, it sounds like the books are pretty vulgar and I don't know if my fragile little mind can handle such atrocity.

9. Pootie

Pootie OT Supporter

:hsugh: good commentaries are the shit

10. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

I love good commentaries.

The best IMO is Roger Ebert on Citizen Kane. You can learn a lot, and he sounds like he's having fun. Peter Bogdanavitch's commentary on the same DVD is kinda interesting because he knew Orson Welles quotes him a lot, but Peters voice is so dull he'll put you to sleep.

The worst: The Exorcist & Farenheit 9-11. Friedkin says almost NOTHING about the production. He basically narrates the movie. "Here she is going up some stairs. She's hearing some strange sounds in the house, so she's going to investigate it..." On and on like that.

F 9-11 has Moore's interns doing the commentary track, and it's like they have never heard of commentary tracks before or have any idea what they're supposed to be like. When they're not all talking over each other, some of the interns actually think that they have to be quiet because somehow they are under the impression that people listening to the commentary track are watching the movie for the very first time! I love commentary tracks, but even I had to hook that one.

The most? I don't know, but Cabin Fever has at least four commentaries, and they're all pretty entertaining!

11. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

People that love movies and the movie business do. You can learn a lot of neat trivia and about movie making in general. And some are just goofy fun, like the Muppets from Space commentary.

12. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

I guess I just never got into it. I have too many dvds to watch. Dont have enough time to watch them multiple times w/ and wo/ commentary.

13. Joe_Cool

My personal favorite commentaries:
    Spinal Tap. I have the DVD and an old quicktime video cd. The DVD has commentary by Nigel, Derek, and David in character. :mamoru:
    And the DVD has commentary by the actors. It's great.

Also, anything by John Carpenter & Kurt Russell. They sound like they're drunk and having a great time.