Direct 3D Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dOOfus, May 15, 2006.

1. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

I have a problem with Direct3D. I already ran dxdiag and it had troubles when i clicked the button for test direct3d. I get a blockiness when I do all three of the tests. The same happens when I try to play games that require d3d.

[​IMG]

Windows XP Pro SP2
    Intel D915PBL
    P4 3.4GHz
    128MB DDR2
    DirectX 9.0c
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    Latest BIOS and drivers.

Can anyone help me out?

2. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

anyone?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Swap your video card with a friend's and see if that fixes the problem. First sign of failing hardware is artifacts in the signal. The next sign is usually smoke.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, it looks like a bad video card.. check to make sure the fan is spinning on it (if applicable). You can also check the temperature of the card in the Nvidia driver settings.

5. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

The GPU core temperature is 58C.
    The ambient temperature is 49C.

I would have tried this card in another system but it is a PCIe and nobody I know uses PCIe. Maybe I'll try to borrow another PCIe card and see what happens.

6. deusexaethera

The core temperature doesn't tell you much unless the video card is freezing in the middle of a game. Mine regularly hits 80C (I have a fanless setup) and it works fine. My bet is the memory on your card is failing, because that's where textures are stored before they get applied to 3D shapes. From the look of it, the error you're having is in the textures, not in the perspective calculator nor in the raster (pixel-by-pixel) output to the screen.

EDIT: Just for the hell of it, pull the card out and plug it back in just in case the connection to the motherboard is crappy. Also, maybe you can try an old PCI video card -- I don't know if PCI can plug into PCI-Express or not, so if you try my idea, don't "make it fit".

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

PCI cannot plug into PCI-Express. Two totally different connectors.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think you should have to quote this every time you post sort of as a "warning" to everyone else that you have no idea what you're talking about.

9. deusexaethera

And I think you should fuck off, but it's pretty clear that's not going to happen either.

10. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

I'm not computer illiterate, I KNOW PCI doesn't fit in PCIe :o

11. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Could be hardware problem. try other cards, there must be someone you know that has a PCIe card.

12. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah... I think we figured that out already.

13. deusexaethera

Good enough then. I thought that since the standards are similar, they might have designed it so that double-keyed PCI cards could plug into PCI-Express slots for the sake of backward compatibility. But, I've never seen a PCI-Express card or slot firsthand, which is why I added the disclaimer.

14. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went to Best Buy today to borrow a 7600GS and it the Direct3D test worked fine. So now I gotta see if my video card is still under warranty.

15. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

What brand is the card? (the bad one)

16. dOOfus

dOOfus OT Supporter

Leadtek PX6600GT TDH. I picked this card out around a little over a year ago because of the reviews I read comparing the 6600GT series. I will never buy a Leadtek again. Just 3 months out of warranty and it craps out on me. Can anyone recommend another good PCIe card? I'm looking for something around $100 or less.

17. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Well, if you are looking for something comparable, you could go with a 7600GT.. otherwise, go for a 7900GT or 7900GTX. As far as brands go, I prefer XFX or BFG Tech.

18. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Oh... I just read.. $100 or less... you are probably going to be limited to a 6600 or a 6600GT.

19. mace

mace i don't read

yeah, I had a GeForce 2 Ti from Leadtek and a capictor blew. Don't buy from Leadtek!

However, I went to a electronics supply company and bought the right kind of cap and soldered it on. It runs fine still to this day.

20. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I never actually had a Leadtek card go bad on me, but I was given a Leadtek GeForce4 Ti4200 as an evaluation unit. The picture was grainy and fuzzy. The drivers and applications that were included were terrible.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oh my God. They are not even similar standards! PLEASE STOP POSTING!!! You have no business recommending products to people if you do not know about PCI-E, let alone haven't used it.

22. deusexaethera

So you're telling me you can't tell the difference between professional advice and idle speculation? How many more disclaimers do I need to add before you get the message?

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I know you're full of shit. That's easy for me to see. But when some n00bs come in and ask a question, and you spout off some bullshit like "use a PCI card in your PCI-E slot, I think it works" then they don't know any better.

24. deusexaethera

Wow. I didn't realize your cause was so noble. Your pompous tone belies your generous soul.

Also, my exact words were "maybe you can try an old PCI video card -- I don't know if PCI can plug into PCI-Express or not, so if you try my idea, don't 'make it fit'." It's hard to mistake that for "I'm sure you can do this, just give it a good shove and it'll plug in."

Whereas, the part of my post stating that the artifacting is probably caused by a GRAM hardware error -- which has not been disputed by anybody -- was completely ignored by you, no doubt because it didn't give you the opportunity to try to degrade me.

25. mace

mace i don't read

actually with some cards you can make a PCIe x16 card fit work in an x8 slot with some cutting.