Dinner/date question - tipping?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Mars Princess, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

I'm supposed to be going out with my friend on Wednesday and he has emphasized that he is going to be the one treating me to whatever i want to do and wherever I want to eat. I'm glad he wants to do all these nice things, but I have a question about the dinner. Do you think it would be a good gesture of me to leave part of or the entire tip for dinner? :)

2. shady5

shady5 Guest

Its always great to offer it up but I would say it is unlikely he will let you. Great gesture to ask if you can though, nothing worse than a moocher, even if he said he would its nice to see your date at least offer, even if they have no intention of paying

3. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

ya I'm going to at least put the offer on the table. He's a real nice guy. I don't want him to think that I;m using him for free food or drinks

4. shady5

shady5 Guest

yea i hate it when girls do that, I know they dont mean to make it look like they just want free food but if they dont even OFFER is when I get mad

5. -=Likwid=-

-=Likwid=-

i gotta commend you on the thought and the effort... this doesn't happen enough imho.

i agree with shady5, even if the intention isn't there (maybe it should?) at least put the offer up.

6. Fearan

Fearan Guest

:werd:

Offer to pay half the meal. Personally I found it a huge turnon when my girlfriend tried to be all independent like that, and also it emphasizes the fact that any potential relationship is going to be on equal playing fields for both partners, with no domination.

7. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Yep, definately offer. Unfortunately, there are some guys, too many, who think because they paid for dinner, that they bought and paid for you too.

8. johan

johan Active Member

If this is a date, and he has made it clear that he is paying for the date, then GRACIOUSLY accept his generosity. You repay this kind of generosity by smiling, accepting graciously and saying thank you.

To whip out your pocketbook and throw money down on as well, lessens his gesture and is rather gauche.

If its a big friends-only gathering, or if its understood you're going dutch -- no problem, whip out a calculator (kidding) and divvy it up down the the last cent.

But on a romantic date, don't steal thunder from his gesture. Just graciously accept it and smile and say thank you.

This applies all the more if you're going to a very nice, upscale, fine-dining restaurant. Keep it classy -- no fumbling around for money, just as I'm sure he'll just lay down the gold card, instead of counting out quarters for tip at the table.

And no, buying dinner doesn't mean buying you, and even if it did, throwing a 10 dollar tip in there doesn't exactly say much either. Be strong, and be classy.

If he opened your car door for you would you smile and say thank you, or would you bat his hand away or race him to the handle and crank it open yourself?

Anyways it all depends on the type of date. Fine dining, heels, dress, etc -- you know the drill.
    tshirt, jeans, runners, date at a baseball game...hey go nuts and wrestle over the bill if you want.

9. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

depending on service and type of restaraunt i usually leave between 10 -13% of the bill.

10. NeedGTI'02

NeedGTI'02 New Member

We usually leave more than that in the States - I lived in the UK for awhile, and I know how it works there, but usually anything less than 15% is considered bad form.

11. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

aye fair enough ;)

12. I think it's a great gesture to offer to leave the tip, if a girl I was taking out did that I'd really like it, even if I wanted to pay for everything. I really like independent girls, I like paying for things too but it's nice to see the gesture.