MIL dilemma.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ustfdes, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

Yeah, so here's where i'm headed with this:

My wife is taking a 4 day pass from Baghdad to Doha, Qatar (dates left out), and i would like to visit her. I leave for Iraq sometime in the spring (for 18 months), and she returns from Iraq sometime in the summer (after 12 months), so in the end, it will have been about 2.5 years since i last saw her....and would be nice to take this chance while i can. She will be with our 2 year old when she returns, as i am with him now, but its not ME and HER. This is also her second deloyment, and my second is forthcoming.

only, i have no money ;x

The airfare is going to cost around $1500 for the round trip tickets....and the hotel is probably going to be around $500...i have enough for the hotel, but not quite enough for the flight.

Can anyone get discounted international tickets? or does anyone know of any better way to do it? I can't get on a Space Available Flight, as we found out her dates too late.

Any ideas?

(also, this isn't a donation request or anything of the sort.....but i know some people here have some money they'd like to burn for a good cause [​IMG] )

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

damn that really sucks

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Hmm, let me see what I can dig up. What time frame are we looking at here? Give me like a month block estimate.

4. ustfdes

lol, thats the trouble i'm encountering. I'm lookign at MY trip taking place less than 2 weeks from now -=\

i wish i had gotten the dates sooner, because then i would have been able to plan it differently...cheaper and whatnot.

also, it seems i can find a few flights for around $1200 now, but thats still a bit out of reach.

5. brackac

I may be able to help out if you can prove that tickets will be purchased for this reason.

6. ustfdes

if proving something is the case, then i would do whatever i could to provide such proof ;)

i can understand why you would ask for proof as well, people are full of scam these days.

what kind of proof would you be looking for?

7. ustfdes

Airline
    FromToDepartArriveFlight[​IMG]
    Major CarrierATL-West B Hartsfield
    Atlanta, Georgia, USAAMS-Schiphol
    Amsterdam, NetherlandsTuesday
    1X Jan
    05:20 PMWednesday
    1X Jan
    07:40 AMFL#622
    0 Stops[​IMG]
    Major CarrierAMS-Schiphol
    Amsterdam, NetherlandsDOH-Doha
    QatarWednesday
    1X Jan
    01:30 PMWednesday
    1X Jan
    11:00 PMFL#439
    1 StopsElapsed Time 21 hr 40 min [​IMG]
    Major CarrierDOH-Doha
    QatarAMS-Schiphol
    Amsterdam, NetherlandsMonday
    2X Jan
    12:25 AMMonday
    2X Jan
    06:55 AMFL#8522
    1 Stops[​IMG]
    Major CarrierAMS-Schiphol
    Amsterdam, NetherlandsATL-West B Hartsfield
    Atlanta, Georgia, USAMonday
    2X Jan
    10:20 AMMonday
    2X Jan
    01:55 PMFL#8621
    0 StopsElapsed Time 21 hr 30 min div{border:0px solid red}.hint{width:155;margin:1px; display: none; position:absolute; z-index:10; background-color:#f0f8ff; padding:5; border:5 solid #A1CEFD}

Your credit card will be billed for a total of $1076.43 USD

this is through airfare.com, and has so far been the best price i've found....(and this isn't intended to be proof of any kind, only reference as to the prices i'vecome across thusfar.)

(edit: dates obscured i.l.o. opsec considerations)​

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Can your base travel office do any better on the rates?

How much time will you get for R&R?

Also, if you are with your son currently, how exactly are they deploying you with no guardian set aside for your child since your wife won't be back until later?

9. ustfdes

1.)planning on calling Ft Campbell tomorrow to see if there may be a possibility of Apace-A travel, so late in the game.

2.) I'm currently TN Army National Guard, so R&R will only be an issue once i'm deployed.

3.) We have a Family Care Plan set up with our units, that is, in essence, signing our son over to another legal guardian if both of us were to be deployed at the same time...something that isn't REQUIRED to be signed (IIRC), but my wife signed it anyways, because they told her it was required during the Pre-mobilization process.

I'm not sure if AD has the same plan or not, but our son would go to my wife's sister in the event of my deployment.

note: don't hate on every guard unit, I am currently with the unit i deployed with (and am deploying with again), and we actually received more unit and individual citations than most active units in the area did...and actually uphold the standards properly unlike the vast majority of other national guard units that give the rest of us a bad name (no APFT write offs, or meritless awards and badges, etc.)

(just had to throw that out there for those who discount the guard :hs:)

10. ustfdes

(editing broke) :gotme:

I also plan on calling the As Sayliyah (Doha Pre-Positioning Base) Billeting office tomorrow during their 'business hours' and seeing if they can get me a room on the base there, since i'm not under any kind of orders or leave.....but if that works out, then i won't be able to be alone with my wife like i would like (for obvious reasons)

although it would save a good bit of money, and allow me to stay longer and shift my flight dates if her flight were to get delayed for any reason.....but is still kind of dissappointing.

also, for those wondering, i will not be taking my son with me to any middle eastern country, especially one that i have never been to in the first place....as she will see him on her true R&R leave, and after her deployment is over.

11. ustfdes

no news/tips from anyone? :ugh:

12. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Did you try your local VFW post? Were I live, they sometimes do special stuff in this kind of situation or perhaps they know a former/retired military person/family who "gives back"!

13. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Give Army One Source a call @ 800-464-8107. Do the same thing with them that you did here. Give them the background and your situation and ask them for advice.

14. ustfdes

oh ok, thanks guys, i'll be calling both of them then, in that case....i know they help, but i didnt know they helped with travel an stuff like that.

thanks again ;) will update when i find out more!

15. ustfdes

Army OneSource is a no-go, as they can only give me websites to get cheaper flights from, and i already have access to all those...and they couldn't find the number for the base there at doha for me either....so its back to google for that one.

if anyone has a reference of any kind that they could use to find a number for anyone on As Sayliyah, Doha, Qatar...that would be a big help.

16. Ranger-AO

Your wife should be able to get that from her 1SG or someone in her TOC. They will have to have it if they are sending her there.

17. ustfdes

I found the number, but am unable to access a DSN line to call it....still trying to find the number for the DSN redirect at Ft Campbell, but you have to state your name and local base telephone extension number. and then you have to give your precedence....since my precedence isn't of official nature, they wouldn't connect my call.

18. ustfdes

as an update, i found a flight for $973.....the Qatar 2 week tourist visa is $15 USD ($55 QAR), and hotels are $150 a night or more....

so what i think we are going to do is book the flight with what we have left, and since it will be on the 15th when i fly out, it will be her pay day, and i can use those funds to find a hotel if the base won't let me have a room there.

although i don't see why the base would turn me down if they have room....wouldn't that be unethical to turn me down if i was broke without a place to stay in the middle east? I mean, they do have Transient barracks....typically.

basically this is going to set us pretty far behind bill-wise, but it's basically our only opportunity to see each other for a long time, so i feel it's worth it.

edit: for reference, this is my wife, our son, and myself shortly after he was born:
    [​IMG]
    and this is my wife and son before she deployed:
    [​IMG]
    and this was me and our son at the doctor about 4 months ago:
    [​IMG]
    and one more pic of me and our son:
    [​IMG]

they're all old pics, but i'm not a big picture taker ;x

just throwing these out there for reference, so you can get a visual of my family

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  19. Ranger-AO

Well fuck. It shouldn't be this hard to have sex with your own fucking wife! :mamoru:

I would go down to your armory and use their DSN line.

20. ustfdes

yeah, i tried that yesterday...and suprisingly enough, the full time guys there have no idea how to use it, as they've never called DSN before....but i think i'm going back today and trying it for myself....as our readiness nco wasn't there yesterday.

21. ustfdes

what happened? :hsugh:

i can prove whatever is needed :x:

22. brackac

Just seeing what developed.

23. ustfdes

update: i finally found the number for the base.....and wouldn't you know that i found it in a press release off google of all things....not an official website or anything...

so they told me to call in the morning, and that even though i wasnt on official orders it is still possible to get a room there on base, and if i ask them, they can put my wife in the same room when she gets there. (as far as they say so far.)

they also said that she most likely won't be able to leave the base to go downtown with me unless her ncoic/oic approves it....which being that i am flying from america to visit, it's possible that they'll make an exception.

but the problem is, i still need a qatari sponsor id to get my tourist visa.

24. ustfdes

update: got my joint tourist visa.....got my plane ticket.....got a room on the base, but they have a cohabitation policy that doesnt allow men and women to stay in the same room, even if they are married, so we still have to get a hotel -=\

cliffs: used the last of our money that was originally intended for a few bills....which sucks but they will get over it.....and waiting on her payday for the hotel money and living expenses.

don't know how much money i will have for food and taxis until her payday, but the base has to feed you, right? ;X

EDIT: Also, i was going to carry a knife of some sort (since a firearm would just be asking for being detained) but since i am traveling into saudi arabia (quick plane stop), the office of diplomatic security advised me against carrying a weapon of any kind through saudi...as i would most likely be found out and detained for further search/interrogation, which would end up very bad with all the abductions and whatnot :ugh2:

in short, the guy said that i would just have to rely on my kung-fu.

(i just don't trust the arabic nations)​

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  25. Ranger-AO

Will your wife need any type of visa to go off base in Qatar?