1. I am trying to build my portfolio for school and latley I have been doing TFP shoots with my friends and they have all been very happy with my work. Well, I was just contacted by a friends sister and she wants to pay me to do a shoot with her and her 2-3 month old baby. The shoot would have to be outdoors as I don't have or have access to a studio. My problem is that I have never done this kind of setup.

I honestly don't even know where to begin if I were going to do an outdoor shoot with a young baby.

I am so :noes: about the situation that I don't even know how I would shoot them! I am drawing a blank on poses settings everything :noes:

2. mojito

mojito New Member

where you going to do the shoot at?

bring relfectors, fill flash, toys, baby wipes, towels, maybe an assistant to shake toys and hold reflectors. Probably a blanket for some sitting shots, it'll be easier for the mom and kid

3. I am going to do the shoot in the park. It has a gazeebo,play ground, tire swing, jungle gym, garden, a tree where many people get there senior portraits, man made waterfall, creek running through the park (small)

It really is an elegant park, ALOT of people in town have their wedding's done there.

I have the reflectors and a few slaves. Would I be out of line in assumeing she is going to be bringing baby wipes and other essentials for the care of her child? I will have a few teddys and a blanket, but other than that... I don't know.

Thank you for your input. It has actually givin me a few ideas.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  4. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

a 2-3 month old baby won't do much (I know, because I have one)

I would be very surprised if a baby that young will respond to rattles, they are more focused on faces and voices at that age.

Focus on the face, specially the eyes and nose. The baby will want to look at mum lots so get some of that. Have bub sit on mums lap and look out or similar.

I repeat a baby that young will not do much and will not respond to much.

The mum will bring her nappy bag along so don't worry about that. It isn't your job to look after the baby, just shoot it :)

I would also suggest taking along a big blanket - or asking mm to bring along a bunny rug. That way you will be able to get a background that will be uniform - http://members.optusnet.com.au/offtopic/20060416a.jpg kinda like that but hopefully a lot better.

Oh and see if you can get a private space. Bubs that young realy need to be photographed naked :big grin: NAKED BABY!

5. natelam

natelam New Member

Why outside even if you don't have studio lights? Window lighting with a reflector is the next best thing, and softer by far than sun. With babies, that "golden" look isn't all that appealing until they hit toddler age and are running around. Find a nice big window, cover it with a white sheet, and you are in prime territory.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

I guess I should have been more specific, what park in Seattle? I'm around the area too

7. We don't get much direct sunlight here. Most of it is diffused light, so shooting outside usually is never a problem when it comes to harsh shadows and direct light.

I will actually be shooting in Port Townsend at Chetzemoka park.

MissKitty: Thank you for the input. I will bring along a few blankets. A question I had was if the baby were to start crying should I take advantage of that and snap a few pics? Momma consoleing babby is usually kinda cute right? :ugh2:

8. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I have plenty of cranky baby shots... they are so cute :big grin:

9. eof

eof New Member

I think a picture with the dad and a coathanger with a dissapointed look on his face would be :bigthumb: