GUN Dilema about 9mm.. buying SOMETHING saturday *POLL*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Y2kAccord, Mar 28, 2008.

?

What should I buy

1. XD9 SC in Black

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. Glock 19 from local dealer at $20 more

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. Glock 19 from SW and wait however long

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Glock 17 I can get saturday

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

SHipped off my 1911 today via USPS :mamoru: and now gonna have $550 bucks spending cash.. trying to decide.. here is my dilema.. I wanted a Glock 19 or XD9 subcompact in bitone.
    Well I usually get my guns at Sportsmans warehouse is out of Glock 19's, they have Glock 17's for the same price $499.. I have a coupon :mamoru::mamoru: for $10 off so it would be $489. I wouldnt mind a Glock 17 I guess.. I have big hands and the 19 is marginal without needing an extension.
    The other option for $489 is a XD9 subcompact in black they have which again would be $479 with all the gear (including an extended mag which without 2 full fingers hang off the end).

I found a local guy who has been great shipping my guns while has a glock 19 for $509.. $20 more (no coupon :hs:)

What sucks is there is another SW which is closer than the other one, but its across the TN line and I cant buy a gun from them becausae I am in MS.. apparently you can buy long guns (bought my 10/22 there) but not hand guns.

What should I do? It will be nightstand gun, range and maybe eventually carry

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I like my 19 :dunno: If you're going to carry it, you'll probably want something smaller than a G17. 19s are a pretty good size you get 15+1 rounds of 9mm and they small enough to carry but not to small where you can't get a good grip.

3. Y2kAccord

Is it worth the $20 to get it saturday.. pisses me off about SW in Memphis.. fuckers

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I've never shot an XD9 SC but I've heard good things. To me I'd probably pay the extra $20, but I don't have your hands or know what shoots best for you.

5. Y2kAccord

with the extension the XD9SC fits my hand prolly the best, but I like the sights and feel of the glock too.. and I have had an XD before.. kinda wanted a Glock so :dunno:

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

is it a gen 3 19?

the only glock i like is the Gen 2 Glock 19 :hsd:

7. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

As with all of these types of threads. Hold all the guns you are considering, and pick the one that best fits you. Its that easy. All of the choices you listed are good picks. I myself am up to six Glocks, but that is just me. What fits me, might not fit you....

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

I'd vote for the XD, but test 'em all out first and see which works best for you. XD works best for me, but to each his own.

10. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

:h5:

11. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

love mine
    [​IMG]

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

http://madtrigger.net/videos/SWPL/swpl%20ray4%206-24-07.wmv

I highly recommend the Glock 17. Those that know me know I am a huge glock whore. If you did not know this your going to find out. In fact I even work for a company that builds high end glocks and manufactures competition glock parts.

The glock has a low bore axis which gives you more mechanical leverage to handle recoil. The two lowest bore axis guns are the glock and the 1911. The XD has a higher bore axis so you have to fight muzzle flip more.

The glock has a short trigger reset. while the pull of the glock is 3/4" you only need 1/4" of movement to reset the trigger for the next shot. This is called "shooting from reset" and is one of the secrets of fast accurate shooting. The stock glock trigger is OK but can be greatly improved. There are two ways to go. The most inexpensive is what they call the .25 cent trigger job (it actually cost more than that but it is pretty reasonable.) Basicly you take a glock 3.5 connector (the 17 and 19 come with a 5 lbs connector), and you polish the snot out of it with a dremel felt wheel and some flitz. The you clip one coil off the plunger spring, and respring the gun with a extra power trigger spring and a reduced power striker spring. All together costs you about $20 and you get a 2.5-3lbs trigger without sending your gun to the gunsmith. The other route is to get a aftermarket trigger kit. My kit drops in (again no gunsmith) and the trigger is about 1.5 to 2 lbs depending on slide to frame fit. Almost all the pretravel is taken out of the trigger, the reset is shortened further, and the trigger breaks more crisp.

There are a ton of aftermarket accessories for the glock. Including those awesome glock 18 32round magazines and are about $25. The magazines actually work not like some of those other 170mm+ mags for other guns. For example the 170+ xd mag is garbage. The double wide 1911/2011 mags work pretty good when tuned but cost about $100 w/ baspad. The glock 18 mag works out of the box. Of course the 17 mag are real good. One of the strong parts of the glock is the magazines. The glock has a very high magazine capacity and it runs. The XD has a magazine capacity about 2-3 rounds less depending on caliber. Everybody and their brother makes sights, holster, guide rods, mag button, sight mounts, blah blah blah for the glock. Not so much for anything else.

The glock is very popular with goverment agencies, law enforcement, competition shooter, and is the best selling handgun in the world for a reason. I'm mostly the a competition shooter and the glock and the 1911 are the top two guns in uspsa/ipsc, and idpa. You really can't go wrong with the glock.

13. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

14. saxman

I can has big grip too
    [​IMG]

15. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I liked the XD9 subcompact when I fired it. Did surprisingly well with it even without the grip-extension magazine (better than I was doing with the G17 that day, in fact).

The P99 has ferocious recoil in .40 - it probably only gets worse with the P99c. I would like to try a P99c in 9mm however...

16. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

G19>USPSub9>Sig229>P99>XD>Lorcin>M&P

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

18. saxman

I'd take my P99 over a G19 any day of the week personally :dunno:

19. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

P99 ergonomics are fantastic... so long as you're not shooting it in .40 S&W. I'd like to shoot one in 9mm someday. Hell, I might snag a P99c for carry in 9mm given the ambiguity over the PPS.

20. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Glock 19 all day long. I have a Glock 23 and am a big guy (6'4" 215lbs) and have large hands. The 23 fits perfect and is compact enough I have no problem using it as my daily carry.

21. Calhoun Burns

Calhoun Burns ...and the gunslinger followed.

P99 or M&Pc

22. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

CZ 2075 Rami

23. Calhoun Burns

Calhoun Burns ...and the gunslinger followed.

:bigthumb:

24. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Only you can answer that. If you really want the 19, dont consider the others, then its just a matter of waiting, who knows how long or picking it up locally.

To me, it would be more than worth the $20 for two reasons.

First off, your local guy, who you said has been great in HELPING you out shipping should be well worth the return support. As a matter of fact, if everything I purchased was $20 more through a little local than a large chain I buy there every time. Those are the guys that will be there supporting your local gun laws when needed. Do you think that SW will care about your local laws when they sell all over the country...doubt it. However, they mean just as much or more to your local shop as they do to you, his livelihood depends on them. Support your local.

Secondly, with those large companies even if its ordered tomorrow and in stock at the distributor, it could take weeks to get since orders go through the main warehouses, then the orders ship to the main warehouses, then finally to your local store...not worth it.

Lastly, what's $20? Two boxes of ammo these days. It will mean nothing in the long run. Just spend the money, support your local guy that has been helping you out and get your gun and go shooting.