A&P Digital Rebel People, is this a good deal???

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by D_Wade, Nov 29, 2004.

1. D_Wade

D_Wade Yeah, that was nice...now you should get going

Is this a good deal/price for this stuff?

$1,299 for:
    Canon EOS Digital Rebel 6.3MP SLR Camera with Extra Lens, CF Card, Accessory Kit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You're prepped for amazing photography adventures with this sophisticated SLR digital camera, extra telephoto lens, high-speed memory card and handy accessory kit — plus you save a total of $189.97 after rebate!
    • 6.3MP effective resolution with RGB filter; DIGIC imaging processor; 7-point wide-area autofocus, 18-55mm EF-S zoom lens included with camera; additional EF 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens, CompactFlash Type I/II media slot; 512MB Ultra II CompactFlash memory card, Accessory kit with padded case, long-life battery pack and 58mm haze filter
    • Save $189.97! (Reg. price $1389.96 - $89.97 instant package savings = $1299.99 - $100 mail-in rebate = $1199.99 final price)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd27200050012&skuId=999927100050012&productCategoryId=pcmcat8000050005&type=product

2. sony

sony Active Member

No.

There is a triple rebate from Canon right now. You can get the Digital Rebel and two lenses for pretty cheap. The Rebel comes out to 500$ after rebate. The 512mb ultra 2 card can be had for 80$ shipped. Thats 580. Add two prime lenses (cheap and good); the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8. After rebates you come down to $1100. That leaves you $200 which you can use to buy another consumer lens, or sell the 50mm and 85mm and end up with a 500 dollar camera with warranty.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

seconded, take advantage of the triple rebate. And that lens is a POS

4. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

For $100 you wont get anything else that can do nearly what that lens can do with it being that wide.

5. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

the cheapest ive seen the rebel is for 600 for just the body (which includes the rebate) where are you getting 500 from?

6. sony

sony Active Member

Canon's triple rebates. I think they're ending soon (january?)

[​IMG]

Basically if you buy the Rebel + 2 lenses, you get a 300 dollar rebate on the rebel. The last I checked, Rebel + kit lens goes for like 800 from detailers, so you can pick it up for 500 AR.

Then the 50mm f/1.4 for 265 and 85mm f/1.8 for like 280 AR (which are the prices they go for on the used market, so you can resell for those prices easily) :noes:

Any questions: go there :)
    http://www.web-rebates.com/canon/faq.asp

7. mojito

mojito New Member

If you're spending that much on a body, you shouldn't be buying $100 lenses in the first place. Picture quality comes from the lens, not the body.

For $100 is there a better lens? Probably not. Is that lens a piece of crap? Definetly.

8. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

So the 50mm f/1.8 is bad becuase its even cheaper?

Dont be ridiculous, the 18-55 lens will be fine for almost all buyers of that camera initially. They should use that first and then decide what they need after they have used that.

9. mojito

mojito New Member

the 18-55mm kit lens is really limiting. Its autofocus system is slow, its horrible in low light thatnks to its variable aperature zoom, its made of plastic etc.

Can everyone go out and buy a Canon 16-35mm? No But most could pick up a Tamron 28-75 XR Di and be much better off. You lose some on the wide end, but the kit lens is soft and has vignetting when used wide open, so you'd be better off getting a Sigma 20mm or a Sigma 10-22.

Buying cheep lenses is just encouraging a bad habit. Why sink that much into a body and so little into the lenses, the part that determines the quality and actually hods their value?

10. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

If theres anyone that knows that nice lenses are worth there cost its me, but you have to be realistic here.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

i'm realistic. I sold those pieces of crap for 6 months and saw the results. Buy just getting the kit lens, people just starting out are severly limiting themselves and are the ones that will start buying the tamron and quntary lenses, instead of getting better lenses that will improve their quality and grow with them.

12. sony

sony Active Member

Dude, stop being elitist. I had the 18-55mm kit lens and other than the fact that its a little slow (apature-wise) its a great lens. My copy was sharp everywhere but the corners and for someone who isn't making a lot of money on photography, its a great lens. Is it the best landscape lens? No. Is it the sharpest wide lens? No.

Is it a great value? Yes. I have the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and I still considered keeping my kit lens when I sold my Digital Rebel, but the buyer (bunmango) wanted to pick it up. I mean its only 100 dollars. It covers the wide range and its better than any lens you can get in the 18-30 range under 400 dollars.

Theres a huge difference between 18-28. For just 100 bucks its nice to have the range in your bag.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

I'm not being elistist, i'm trying to give people with no knowledge of lenses the true facts. Everyone seems to think that the 18-55 kit lens is all they need to start taking professional quallity pics, and many of them are then dissapointed by them, partly because of their own abilit, and because they expect/need more out of a lens.

It does serve a purpose, but my main goal is to try and make people aware that theree is a reason why Canon offers 60 other lenses

14. sony

sony Active Member

Meh. He never said he thought he could go pro. I've seen some really great pictures with the 18-55 anyway. http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_s_1855_35

I understand what you were trying to get at (your goal) but you came across elitist. Thats how I read it. Its cool to say the 18-55 isn't the greatest lens out there, but to say its pure garbage is just :nono:

(btw you called it a piece of crap)

http://www.pbase.com/image/33123309
    http://www.pbase.com/image/29234890
    http://www.pbase.com/image/32775929
    http://www.pbase.com/image/31893375
    http://www.pbase.com/image/36293171
    http://www.pbase.com/image/21709166

:noes:

15. mojito

mojito New Member

i still will go by my statements. Yes some people can get decent photos out of this lens, but my point is that the average person just picking up the rebel would be better off with a better lens. They won't have the skills neccessary to get the most out of the lens. A better lens will give more flexability in learning the fundamentals. My response was more geared to the vast majority, not just this one post, as the same topic seems to keep coming up weekly if not daily

16. sony

sony Active Member

Errr. :slap: The average person doesn't need expensive lenses to take pictures. The kit lens shoudl suffice at least on the wide end. I dont' see why you're recommending they skip out on a great wide angle lens for cheap (100$) which beats every single wide angle lens under 450 dollars.

Its no 16-35mm f/2.8L or 17-40mm f/4L, but its damn good for 100 bucks and SOME people get decent photos, but a lot of people get GREAT photos. Lets not shift the emphasis from photographer to equipment here. The kit lens is quite adequate for learning.

If someone were purchasing a dSLR for the first time, I'd definitely recommend that they purchase the kit lens and perhaps another lens like the 28-75 or a 70-200 f/4 or f/2.8. The thing is they're new to the game and won't know what kind of situations they enjoy shooting most. Why undercut yourself and skip out on a wide angle lens. IF they find out they enjoy landscape the most, thats what they'll upgrade. The lens goes for 80-100 used, so its not like they're digging themselves into a hole and staying there.

Name me a lens that covers the 18-55 range better than the kit lens thats under 450 dollars.

17. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

can u use manual lenses on a rebel?

my dad has a ton of lenses and filters etc

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  18. mojito

mojito New Member

you can use FD mount lenses with an adapter ring, but they'll still be manual focus lenses

19. mojito

mojito New Member

You could do a sigma 20mm, an older 17-35 and a few others. Its more just the concept that buying cheep lenses will produce good results. The average person isn't going to be happy with it. If you're willing to spend x amount on a dslr body, which will depreciate as fast as a computer, why not sink more money into the one piece of equiptment that truely holds its value and makes a bigger quality difference.

20. sony

sony Active Member

They won't focus to infinity though. :o

21. sony

sony Active Member

Sure the average person will be content with what the 18-55mm gives. Its a great lens for the average person and a decent lens for a professional or a measurebator. The fact is, if they're average and not pro, aka not making money off of their hobby (its not a profession) then why do they need to spend a lot of money on glass? Granted, there are only a few good "steals" out there on lenses for cheap. The 18-55mm EF-S and 50mm f/1.8, IMO, are steals at their price points and for what they provide in return.

The thing with glass is that it will hold the majority of its value. I still see 18-55mm lenses selling for 70-80 dollars on fredmiranda and 50mm selling for like 70. What do you have to lose?

22. D_Wade

D_Wade Yeah, that was nice...now you should get going

Ok guys, so is this a good deal for a first time SLR buyer, considering that with the $100.00 mail in rebate this package comes to a grand total of $1199.99?

23. mojito

mojito New Member

24. sony

sony Active Member

:ugh: Go read my first reply to this thread. :ugh2: