Digital Out on Soundblaster Question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GisMo, May 21, 2002.

1. GisMo

GisMo Guest

I have a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer..It has a mini stereo jack for digital out.......My speakers are hooked up to a Onkyo Revierver. The only other inputs, other that RCA on the reciever are Coaxial and Optical.....Do i just get and adapter from stereo to Coax??? or is there a special digital stereo cable...??? thx in advance :)

2. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Just use a mone mini plug to rca adapter. This is what I do.

Home receivers + speakers > computer speakers

3. GisMo

GisMo Guest

mono miniplug to a coaxial cable???

4. GisMo

GisMo Guest

5. GisMo

GisMo Guest

yea..

6. GisMo

GisMo Guest

but......The guys at soundadvice say there is a difference between a normal RCA cable and a digital coax RCA cable....is that true?

7. GisMo

GisMo Guest

ahh..i got it :) thx..radioshack run tomorrow...

8. Madness

Madness Guest

9. Mack_Daddy

Mack_Daddy We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigar

Yeah man I did the exact same thing. I got a sound blaster live 5.1 dolby surround card and I hooked up to the coax connection on my phillips home theatre receiver using an rca cable and a rca to 3.5mm mini plug adapter from radio shack. Now as far as cables go I am just using a crappy thin rca cable, though i would recommend getting a decent lower priced thick rca cable with gold plated tips from radio shack or your local electronics store. I picked up a pretty good one for my dvd player for about 16 bucks canadian and it provides great sound quality.

10. 04

04 Guest

Your crappy cable will do fine as long as the signal is passing through. With digital cables you either get the signal or you dont. There is no "halfway". The Gold plated tips do nothing but prevent corrosion, gold has less conductivity than copper. Finally, the cable does not provide "sound quality" that is up to your speakers and to a lesser extent, electronics. The only thing a cable is supposed to do is reject noise and transmit the signal with the lowest loss possible.

11. GisMo

GisMo Guest

monster cables are a rip off....my friend's dad is insane when it comes to home audio..he has these boston acoustics speakers with custom gold HAND-BRAIDED gold wire to connect the speakers to the amp...it was insane

12. 04

04 Guest

Thats quite sad that your friends dad was so taken by marketing. Having gold wire is actually worse than copper, since it is higher resistance.

13. Mack_Daddy

Mack_Daddy We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigar

Cables

:bigthumb:

No I know that man, thats what I meant, that there was no signal loos in the cables I bought and the there was also no signal noise eiither which is important around alot of electronic components. As far as the gold plating goes There is only 2 reasons I bought the cable with with the gold tips. #1. They reduce corrosion as you said and #2. They are more flexible which makes for better conductivity because more of the plug touches. Anyway though man good advice, you obviously know what your talkin about.