Digital Camera

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jtrem, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jtrem

jtrem Active Member

Alright guys, looking to buy my girlfriend a new digital camera. She is 18 years old and I am looking to spend around 100 dollars more or less no big deal. Anything I should know, I really am clueless about this so all help is appreciated.

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Honestly I wouldn't bother with a $100 digital camera. Usually in that price range you end up with a camera that takes grainy pics, uses regular batteries (you'll burn through AA alkalines at an alarming rate, or will need to buy lots of high-capacity rechargeables - $$), and are just generally pretty lackluster performance and feature wise. If you can bump your budget up to about $175, you can get something pretty decent for the buck, like a Canon SD1000.

3. jtrem

jtrem Active Member

I really appreciate the advice, I have heard that over 5 or 6 MP's are useless???

4. TinTin

TinTin Guest

It depends on what primarily she will be using the camera for. For example, if she just wants snapshots of her and her friends when they go out, a 5 or 6 MP should do the job, however, if she wants to bring them to be developed, make enlargements (ie: 8x10 portraits, etc.) then the higher the megapixel the better.

I, personally, have the pink Sony Cybershot DSC-W80 which is 7.2 megapixels and has cool features such as being able to crop, change effects (ie: turn picture into sepia, black and white, cartoon modes) before uploading them onto my macbook. It also has the feature of turning the background black and white while keeping the foreground in color :hsd:

This camera cost me $199 at Best Buy, so it just depends if you'd be willing to spend some extra.

Hope this helps.

5. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye