A&P Digital Camera long exposure shots...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by WooleyBooger, Feb 18, 2003.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Are they just for night shots??? Do they even work in day light?

What are some tips (read settings) that will help make a better long exposure shot?

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

long exposure is used in low light situations

long exposure translates to keeping the shutter open longer (shutter speed) for example: 1 second (not very long) , 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 30 seconds.... so on

most normal digital cameras only allow up to 30 seconds.

you MUST you a tri-pod to do long exposures....obviously, because when the shutter is open for several seconds and you are holding your camera, your arms will shake and the pic will come out all blurry. so you must use a tri-pod in order to keep the camera from shaking while the shutter is open for so long.

the reason you want to keep the shutter open longer is to let more light into the camera, hence why you normally use it at night time.

taking pictures of city streets at night time would be a good example of using long exposure. when you take a normal pic of a city street on a fast shutter speed with the flash turned on, the flash will extend like 5 feet in front of the camera lighting whatever is directly in front of you but making everything beyond that completely dark. then when you turn the flash off and take the same pic at the same fast speed, the pic will turn out completely dark because not enough light came into the camera quick enough for that shutter speed. so what you would do is to set your camera on a slow speed like 4-8 seconds and use a tri-pod to caputure the picture correctly. turn the flash off whenever you use a slow shutter speed like this.

keeping the shutter open longer obviously lets more light into the camera over a set amount of time, but there is another thing too that sucks the light in as well, and that's the ISO speed.

with your average digital camera, you want to try to keep your ISO at it's lowest setting, like 100 ISO, because the higher ISO you set it to, the more noise you will have in your picture (noise is best described as alot of "grain" in your picture). the reason that you want to make the ISO setting higher is to get more light into the camera for the shutter speed you have it set to, but it's better to keep the ISO lower and change the shutter speed to a longer exposure setting so that you can reduce the noise in the picture.

so anywho, go test this out during the night. set your camera to 8 second shutter speed, ISO 100 , and set the timer to 3 seconds that way you can hit the button on your camera and take your hand off in time so that you don't move the camera during this 8 second exposure. experiment with the settings until you learn it. take a pic on one setting then change the speed to something else and take the same pic. in time you will begin to get used the speeds and ISO settings for taking good pics :)

hope that helps a bit

-------------

*edit*

to say a little more about shutter speed and taking pics during the day (because you asked above)...

the reason you don't use long exposure during the day is because there is normally more than adiquite(sp) light during the day to keep the shutter speed fast at like 1/125 - 1/4000. all the light during the day is more than enough for the camera to suck it all in very quickly while the shutter door is only open for a very very very fast moment in time.

i think you see where i'm going with all this :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2003
  3. Mancini

Mancini Guest

Some shots I took a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have a tripod, so I just found some places to put the camera down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

i would post some long exposure shots of mine, but my DSL is being upgraded right now and i am on 56k for the next week until i get my new hardware. so i can't upload anything :)

PLUS!!!! i'm getting a new canon D60 in a few weeks after i ship my Nikon 4300 to the OT person who bought it off me :)

5. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

here's a 20sec (i'm not sure exactly)exposure..
    [​IMG]

6. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

You can use them during the day, but unless you shell out $$$ for a digital SLR, you won't be able to use it effectively.

I believe if you bump up the aperture and slow down the shutter, you can get some neat day shots. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that aperture has to deal with how wide the lense is open, so if you set it at a high aperture and slow(er) shutter speed, the shutter will let in just enough light to give the picture a good enough exposure. I don't think most consumer cameras, short of a SLR, will give you that type of control though.

7. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

here is a long exposure my buddy did using his D60 awhile back

New York from New Jersey side:
    http://www.f20c.com/albums/pano/aag.jpg

he took a bunch of pics then stitched them together. each pic was on a 30 second exposure

Laser Red, that's a very cool pic :cool:

8. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

Depth of Field http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/950/depth-of-field.html

Aperture http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/950/aperture-priority.html

:)

9. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

you can buy neutral density filters to do long exposure shots during the day.