A&P Digital Camera guys, what Printer(s) are you using to print photos?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jTranz, Apr 8, 2003.

1. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

I'm looking to get a Photo printer. The Canon i950 sounds good...at work we use the older Canon s900 with good results. I'm going to be stepping up from my old Epson 860 because the max res. is too low (1440 x 720).

So which other printers would you guys recommend? :)

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

i have a Canon S900

3. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Are you printing larger than 8x10? If not, I really like the Epson 925... Although the Canon will have the seperate ink cartridges...also make sure you look at cart prices - the Epson's are pretty cheap ($20 for black, $26 for the 5-color cart) Those are retail prices.

4. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

A guy I know that actually makes money from his prints (archival quality) swears by his pair of epson 1280s
    I have a HP Photosmart 1115 that I got for free, and its awesome.

5. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Just goto the local Wal-Mart. The Fuji Frontier system is unbeatable.

Dye sublimation > inkjet

6. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

i would love to print my own work instead of using a 3rd party service. i think my next investment will be a nice sized printer and some decent paper.

i heard some good things about hp & canon but cannot recall the model numbers.

7. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

You know after several prints...the Canon s900 handles some aspects of my photos better then my older Epson, but my Epson seems to handle certain darker colors better. It's hard to explain, easier seen with your own eyes. I had problems printing a sepia shot I took of my girl, it appeared in some areas where there were shadows or where her hair was dark, it came out kinda splotchy. Hard to explain. My Epson handled those better. Maybe the ink on the Canon was just low. I'll have to try it again next week at work.

I haven't heard much about HP photo printers. They handle b/w and print fine, but I think for Photo you're better off going with Epson or Canon.

8. airbrat

airbrat Swollen Member

thats the same one I have. great printer for the money. if you're looking at a good "Home" printer the consider the HP 1115 and 1215.

9. Balzak

Balzak New Member

HP 7350 anyone?

10. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

lightjet > dye sub

although unrolling an old dyesub toner thingy is cool....

whatever printer you get, be sure to get the right kind of paper... you can use the most expensive inkjet printer in the world and it'll look like shit on regular printer and some papers have a bad time absorbing inks...

printing with an epson 1280 onto canvas is cool... but i don't know if that's answering yoru question....

11. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

any good photo printers in the 150-250 range?

12. stealthgsr

stealthgsr Guest

i use a canon s820 photoprinter. i got it for 130 but i think frys is sellin it for ~90 now.
    it has 6 separate ink tanks. and i have to admit that it prints extremely vivid photos on kodak photo paper. id reccomend this printer to anyone who wants to print photos.
    i agree with the previous post about finding quality paper. it makes a big difference.

ive also used costco to print digital photos since dye sub photos will last longer than inkjet.
    .69/print for a 4X6
    and 1.99 for an 8X12

13. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I have an inkjet. :sad2: HP multi-function something or other. You'd expect 2.1 MP to come out decent at 4x6. :squint: I can still see the individual pixel--albeit microscopically small.