A&P digital camera 1000-1500??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Brsboarder1, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

Im looking into purchasing a digital camera in that price range, and am wondering whats out there, Im thinking almost definatly nikon because I have 2 fairly nice lenses for my nikon slr and I figure why waste the $500 I spent on these, so I was wondering your thoughts? d70? d100? is the d100 better than the d70 even those its older, or is there something new coming out? any ideas?

2. sony

sony Active Member

Get the D70. Done.

3. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

4. mojito

mojito New Member

nothing new will be announced till next spring at the earliest as far as Nikon entry lever DSLR's. Therre probably will be something in between the D70 and the D2h or D2x, but we won't hear about it till probably the spring photo show and Nikon is notoriosly slow in shipping

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  5. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

why the d70 over d100 if the d100 is only 300 more?

6. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

the D70 is newer, has more features and is just a better camera

7. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

minolta Maxxum 7D should be out *very* soon.

8. mojito

mojito New Member

yes, lets all invest in minolta lenses :rofl:

9. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

you have a problem with minolta lens? They make pretty comprable stuff to nikon and canon, not as many but still good lens.

Also nice how with the 7d ALL lens will have AS :fawk:

And personally i like the feel of the 7 (film body) vs any of the canon/nikon SLR's i've handled fits my hands better and just things placed in such a manner so they make sense.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  10. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

a friend of mine has a d70, and isnt very satisfied with what she bought. dont remember exactley what the problems were, ill ask and post though.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

And good luck finding Minolta lenses. They don't have as many to chhose from, as high quality or image stabilization. Even if the lenses were comparible in terms of quality, you hove to special order them, could never rent or borrow from local dealers etc.

This is also Minolta's first DLSR, after they gave up on the project 2+ years ago, expect problems. It also doesn't really offer any real benefits to change from a Canon or Nikon.

12. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

This man speaks the truth! :bigthumb:

13. sony

sony Active Member

Minolta mount lenses go for really cheap on eBay. There are some 3rd party gems out there that would be great on a Minolta as well. AS on all lenses? Have you seen the samples?

Its going to be a good camera. I'm sure it will sell well if everything works as advertised.

Do I think it will crush Canon or Nikon? :wiggle: Nope.

14. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

I haven't had any trouble finding lens yet.

And yes they don't have IS in the lens, they have it built into the body (digital only).
    And ya minolta doesn't have as many lens to choose from, though they do have plenty.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  15. mojito

mojito New Member

What local store caries Minolta lenses? I frequently visit Calumet and Samys for my supplies, but Glazers, Optics, talls, any of the Ritz/Kits, Fry's, Russ's, or anyother brick and morter chain never carries anything besides Canon, Nikon, Leica, Contax, Mamiya, Hasselblad and other medium or large format lenses.

Minolta and Pentax lenses pretty much have to be ordered online, so theres little chance to play with them or try them out or quickly get supplies

16. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

I usually order all my stuff from BH anyways. Though there is a calumet downtown, not sure if they stock the stuff at the store but calumets online has minolta stuff.

So its no big deal to me :)

17. mojito

mojito New Member

They are available, there just not readily available. Like I said, its internet ordering only basically.

I go to Calumet everyother day for supplies, its Canon and Nikon plus medium & large format equip only

18. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

Thats how i do most things anyway, i only go to the brick and mortar stores for is film, and sometimes wires or other misc stuff.

19. sony

sony Active Member

I shoot Canon and I buy most of my stuff from BH/Adorama/17th photo. :dunno: I have a Calumet, Canoga, and Samy's in the area but they're a bit pricy IMO. I go there basically to try lenses and buy accessories.

20. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

Well...I like Nikon, I use it now, considering I have 0$$ and am in college and wont for another 8 years...grad school, lenses arent going to be an investment any time soon, but the camera is, a family memember said that they want to buy me a camera in that price range, so this is how i'm seeing it, i would like to buy a new camera whatever it is and drop 1400 on 2 lens, but I cant afford that right now so....?

21. mojito

mojito New Member

my point is that you can go to a store to try out a Minolta lens. Any of those store will price match B&H, especially if you're a regular. I'd never buy a lens without holding it and trying it first. I also want to be able to rent it to see if it would be worth the investment or not.

22. mojito

mojito New Member

Just get the D70

23. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Get a D70, you won't be sorry.

24. fairlite

fairlite New Member

The D70 over all is a better camera than the D100, Some people say the colors on the D100 are better, I think that is subjective. The D70 is faster at 3FPS, Higher max shutter speed of 1/8000. The only reall things it lacks is a optional Nikon Vetical Grip (But there is a 3rd Party one being made) and the body isn't metal like the D100 and the D70 has no MLU. D70 is at the begining of it's life cycle but the D100 is very near its end. It will have a replacement sometime next year. But for 1299.00 for a Body and Lens and all the advanced features the D70 has it is the best all around Prosumer DSLR available today Bar None.

25. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

At this price point, I would be looking at:

New / Used Nikon D70 w/or without kit lens
    Used Canon 10D