A&P Digital and SLR film cam?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Conundrum, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

I just bought my first camera... an Olympus C-4000Z digital. I bought it because it has automatic features, but I can also choose to manually set focus, aperture, shutter speed, etc. I am thinking about looking into an SLR film camera also... I like the ease of manual focus, etc. that they offer, as well as the lens changability. I am primarily looking to take architectural photos. Should I get a film SLR too? Are there advantages to film over digital?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I would seriously think about getting a larger (bigger than 35mm) format film camera for architectural photos. The larger negative will enable you to make higher quality large prints. Also, you can buy "swing/tilt" lenses that are crucial for good architectural photos. A medium format camera is 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" square.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

go for the 4x5. They're so much fun to lug around :rant2: but nothing beats them intearms of detail. Pretty much a must have for professional architectural photography. I'm renting a Horesman with a Schneider 210mm F/5.6 lens. To buy new would be 5000+, plus the polaroid back, film holders,film @ $2+ each shot, loupe, heavy duty tripod etc. Ain't school great for the wallet.

4. Deb

Deb New Member

Digital still can't compete with film for picture quality. There might be one digi out there that will, but it's $$$$$$$. If you like all manual cameras and are considering film, check out the Nikon FM3a. It's awesome. I've owned one now for 2 years and love it. You won't find less than a stellar review about it on any website. I also have a Nikon N80 and a Nikon Coolpix 995, so I'm pretty well rounded out, but I like the FM3a the most. If you want to do architecte shots, you'll just need a killer wide angle lens. The manual lenses are CHEAP now, too.

5. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

MF has suffered in pricing (used) due to digital being so big. You can get a ton of MF equipment for almost pennies on the dollar, to what they would have gone for new.

Look in the classifieds or online, many deals about.