A&P Digicam users- a ? about long exp and night shots

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Feb 14, 2003.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

Which cameras do you use and what features would i look for? Ive seen shots from a Sony DSC-707 and i really like it. But one thing i dont like is its design. not very portable, and also its memory stick limitations. Id rather use CF cards.
    I also dont want to spend $1000.

One thing ive been looking for in a new digicam are the features i had in my old POS, Canon S10, specifically, the panoramic features, and its small design. but one thing i hated about it was its long start up time and its obvious limitations, since its really just a snap shot camera.

I was looking at a Canon G2 or G3, or maybe a Nikon 4500 or 995.

Really the main features i want are a good macro mode, good night shot and exposure delay, good zoom (4x or better), and a panoramic option. And preferably a CF operating camera.

Ive checked dpreview.com on these cameras and they all seem to be a little different in terms of who should use them. specifically, Sony DSC-717 > Canon G3 > Nikon 4500; in terms of most->least professional.

Any suggestions?
    :wavey:

2. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

I think you'd like the nikon CP 5000

3. dmora

dmora Guest

does it have the long exposure, good zoom, and panoramic option?

4. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Nikon has Noise Reduction available but I dunno on which models. If the camera has NR then it'll do exposures up to and beyond 30 seconds with little to no noise.

5. dmora

dmora Guest

does it fit between the 4500 and 5700 in terms of features/price?

6. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

Nikon 4300 has NR

that's the only one i know for Nikon

7. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

yeh, its under $1k now that the 5700 took its spot.

8. dmora

dmora Guest

See, i really like the Sony, except for lack of panoramic feature, and that damned sony media card crap. I really cant justifiy the $1000 for those other digicams. Especially not for what im goign to use it for. Hell, i really cant even justify anything over $50 thanks to unemployment and lack of funds, but i might be able to write it off as a business expense ;)

9. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

10. dmora

dmora Guest

I have a panoramic app, The feature im looking for is built into the camera. It seems like the canon's are the only ones with this feature :(

Ill probably end up getting the Sony from the looks of things, and just keep my dinky Canon S10 for the panoramics i want to shoot. :sad2:

11. dmora

dmora Guest

For those using the Sony, what is the battery life yall are getting?

12. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

D100 and the 5700 have it, dunno about the rest. I'm guessing the 4500 will probably have it too.

13. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

150+ min on a full charge.