A&P Digicam Memory Cards getting Erased....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Rynxprs, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

In the past 2-3 months, I've had 4 cards getting erased for no reason. I put them in my camera and they come up unreadable and asking if I want to Format them.

Does anyone know what would cause this. The most current one is only acuople weeks old and removed from the camera to put in the card reader, maybe 4-5 times.

My camera is a Olympus C-3030.

At first I thought it may have something to do with Static Electricity...but the last card has barely been used, so now it has me thinking that it may be the camera.

Can a camera do this to Cards?

2. Blair

Blair New Member

is your computer automatically formating them to some file system the camera doesnt like?

3. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Not that I'm aware of. I don't think it's the computer doing it.

The first time it happened, I was on a trip. I took about 100 pictures and one day I turned the camera on and it gave me the notice. So I assumed the card was full and put in a different card and it worked fine. I got home and put the card in the card reader and the computer told me nothing was there.

Now it has happened 3 times since on different cards.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

this is what I think is going on:

1. your camera isn't properly formatting the card and ends up being unreadable because the images aren't being recorded properly...usual fix = send in for repair OR try formatting it from another camera if possible.

2. if you do any addition or deletion using the computer, your computer is storing information that is hindering the camera from recording properly. usual fix = stop using computer to edit, manipulate or add files to memory card

3. the cards you are using suck ass. try different brands, sizes, or different batches (buy from another store or something). its been known to happen because we've received an entire batch of bad cards (10) before.

i've had this issue many of times and most of the time it is the card. sometimes the camera just can't do the job anymore and its had to be sent in for repair. keep troubleshooting until you come to one of these conclusions.

5. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Thanks.

2 of the cards were older cards, 1 was alittle newer from Tiger Direct and 1 was a new one from Office Depot.

When I view the cards on my computer I do edit them by deleting the files off of them to clear the card. I sometimes use the camera to do that, but it takes too long.

but the newest card, I dont recall doing that to it...except maybe 4 or 5 pictures at the most out of 40 or so, but I really don't think I did delete anything off of it.