difficulty with chest fat

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by themolsen, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I'm getting frustrated with chest fat. It's mostly on the lower pec area. It's not really lumpy; just the soft kind of fat.

My diet is fairly clean (could be cleaner), around 3000-3500 calories a day because I'm trying to gain muscle. I'm quite lean everywhere else but on my chest.

I'm 6'1", 170lbs, and before I started working out 3 or 4 months ago my bf% was measured at 9.6% on one of those electronic handheld things, so probably more like 11 or 12%. And I weighed 157lbs

I was reading about the topical products like Yohimburn and Lipoderm, but it seems those don't really do anything unless you're at a calorie deficit.

I've tried AIFM for a few months thinking maybe it was an estrogenic/water retention issue. It did help reduce water retention around my gut, but really didn't have an effect on my chest.

What are my options? Clean up my diet? I don't want to add cardio because I have a hard enough time gaining weight as it is and getting in enough calories.

Thanks broskis

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. Bodhi

Bodhi My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g

stop the insulin

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

For some people it is just genetic.

I have puffy/large nips too and even when I was down at 10% b/f I still had issues. It got better, but didn't eliminate it.
    My dad has the some problem, but he's quite over-weight so I figured it was just his fat. But even with I am quite lean I still have it :wtc:

4. themolsen

themolsen New Member

If it's just genetic, then I can accept it as it's not a HUGE deal and isn't excessive. But if there's any way I can eliminate it or reduce it in any way, I want to try that. In other words, I want to try all options to get rid of it, short of something extreme like surgery///

It's one thing to have fat b/c by body is just that way, and another to have fat because I'm not doing something right.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

If it's in your lower chest you can start focusing on exercises to target that area. It's pretty hard to legitimately work the lower chest. Even when doing decline benching you'll often not get the lower portion sore.

I would try to get as lean as possible. The less fat you have overall, the less will be in your chest. Also, try doing some decline flies and dips.

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

:hsugh: Since when can you spot reduce fat like that? That's like saying I can do sit-ups for a leaner stomach. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

I feel like doing decline stuff will only make the lower portion of my chest stick out further, exactly what I don't want. If anything, I've started focusing on more incline stuff to try and bring out my upper chest more.

I'll definitely shoot for being super lean and see what happens. I'll have to start that after Christmas :mamoru:

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Whether or not you can spot reduce fat is relative to which study you read. But that wasn't what I was driving at.
    Muscle will burn and replace fat. If you can build up your chest, and get some more muscle in the lower portion of your chest it won't be as flabby and give the "man-boob" look as much. I can already tell you, if you're 6'1" and only 170lbs your not packing much muscle at all. Getting lean and building a solid/full chest will help reduce some of the fat on there... unless of course, you have bad gyno.

Getting leaner needs to be your top priority to see if it's a fat issue or a gyno issue. But a close secondary priority needs to be packing some muscle on to that pencil frame.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Cool thanks for the tips. I actually am packing a good bit of muscle for my size... it's just really dense and hard. I have a small bone structure (e.g. skinny wrists, bones, narrow shoulders, etc.), so it doesn't LOOK that way nor does my weight support it (I've always been way under weight), but my arms are nearly 15" now. I'm doing more weight on some exercises than bros who look way bigger than me. I'm doing 165lbs x10 slow reps, 3 sets on lat pulldowns, for example :dunno: I think the "pencil" frame label is the old me...I don't look that way as much anymore. That being said, my chest is definitely my weak area and I realllly need to bring it out more.

I'm going for a lean muscular look--a look that fits my frame. So I definitely need to focus on the lean part while making sure I have enough calories to continue to gain muscle.

my nipples really aren't puffy. I just have some fat deposits in my lower pec area, behind the nips and around. I don't think it's gyno.

9. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

"In men with highly estrogenic fat patterns (female fat storage pattern), Yohimburn ES will be noticeably effective at any body fat"

yohimburn from AF...i guess read up on yohimbine and buy some bulk stuff from another website?

10. Finesse

Finesse Back for the First Time

That looks sweet Damnation I'm gonna have to give it a try.. Good looks bro :coold:

11. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

read into it though dude...could just be a marketing ploy by AF. either way, buy it from another website lol AF is crazy with that price :Rofl:

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I've read into it and other products like it. They don't magically burn fat away. You have to already be cutting or doing something to burn fat, supposedly. Just Google it and Lipoderm. I wouldn't just go by what the AF Store claims

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

There was a thread here (I don't have a script so I can't find it) about a couple guys with before/after pics of using AF's "man-boob kit" and got solid results.
    I would check it out.

If this problem is really bothering you that much I would:
    1) Start cutting soon
    2) About 2-3 weeks into your cut when you start to notice results start the "man-boob" kit.
    3) Continue cutting with "man-boob" kit for at least a couple months
    4) In the mean-time of all this, pay some special attention to building a more solid chest. Many people believe dumbbell exercises are better for sculpting a chest so keep that in mind. I'd say utilize both DB's and BB's. If possible, try to hit your chest twice a week. Do upper chest with shoulders, and then have another dedicated chest day.

14. quamen

quamen New Member

I would try to tone the lower chest to tighten up the excess fat, because if u just keep cutting, everything else is going to be smaller. your pretty tall and really don't weight that much for your height, so i would suggest trying to isolate that muscle at least 2 times a week. You could even go to the extreme and try hitting that body part while your resting in between sets, even if your not doing chest that day. This has helped me alot to bring up lagging body parts. I would do sets of exercises where i didn't need a machine, just a dumbbell or weight while i was resting, and i noticed a improvement. I wouldn't rely on my suggestion to heavily or anyone's in the long run, because each persons body will react differently to the same movement that you you do. I would just take some of these suggestions and see what works for you, it wont happen overnight, but it will happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.