difficulty of driving stick?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Trinidad, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Trinidad

Trinidad New Member

hey, i've been thinking about getting my next car in a manual but all the people i've talked to say that it's hard and takes forever to shift good and actual drive smoothly...i need some OTer's opinion is it hard? how long does it take just to get the gears down not necessarily smoothly?

2. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

It's actually really easy. I learned to drive on a stick. Just practice alot before you go on the road.

3. It's not hard.

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

I learned on a Corolla. IMO its a lot easier to shift with most japanese cars than it is american or european cars. Theres just less resistance in the jap cars. Again this is just my opinion.

5. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

I hate driving with hydrolic clutches. I learned to drive with my mom's ford focus. But my mustang's cable clutch is just so much easier for me. Harder to push in, but easier to shift good.

6. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

the hardest part is just learning the feel of the clutch in each car you drive. When i got the t/a we got my moms G35C a few days earlier. My car was a 6 speed but never drove one. Tried hers first and it was hard as fuck to learn on. Thoes cars have very unforgiving clutches. I took me a while to get it down. Two days later i got the t/a and I got in in and immediatly started driving it like I had drivin a stick car for years.

7. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I hate the feeling of thoes cars. Actually i hate shifting gears in anything that doesn't have an aftermarker/short shifter. I like the notchyness and feed back you get. Feels like in cars like the corolla you are shifting a spong.

8. Its easy after you pick up the basics. Granted it takes time in the car to get to shifting perfect. But its not hard. just get a feel for where the clutch engages and then just ease into the gas. After a few weeks muscle memory will start to take over and you wont even notice the problems you had when you started. Dont feel bad if you still fuck up too, I've had my car for almost a year now and still stall it on occasion.

FWIW short shifters FTW

9. pdb574

pdb574 New Member

I think it depends on the car. I had a honda that was terrible to shift. But I also had a few wranglers which were so easy and smooth to shift.

10. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

it will take you 1-2 weeks to be able to drive it on the road and you will probably never master it. I know after almost 3 years of it myself I still don't know the first thing about truly driving stick. heel toes are hard as fuck to preform and unless you are tracking your car you will never need to learn half the techniques out there.

11. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

never owned an auto.. manuals ftmfgdmfwbicw!

12. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

I tryed to to do the heel/toe but size 15 shoes FTMFL

13. shiba

shiba Active Member

I agree, But the ability to shift easily allowed me to focus on using the clutch and drive at the same time.

14. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

I had only driven a manual 2 times before I bought my car with a manual.

Trust me, you'll learn when you're sitting at the front of a line of cars stalled.

Besides, you aren't driving without a manual.

15. zguy

zguy New Member

I just bought the car and learned on it. 2 days of driving around a bit and I had it down. It's more of a mental intimidation, once you DO IT, it's easy.

16. operationrob

operationrob OT Supporter

stick shift is easy, especially when your car has enough balls so you can release the clutch and not touch the gas

17. Heel-toe downshifting isn't that hard, it just takes tons of practice. It is harder to do on the street when you're not going very fast, and you're not braking very hard, but if you keep at it and are able to do it on the street, on the track it's like second nature.

Also, you have to get used to your own car. When I had my M3 I could heel-toe anywhere, anytime. When I got my Corvette I couldn't do it to save my life. It took a few weeks to get comfortable doing it in the Corvette. Now it's no problem, but you definately have to get used to your own car.

18. aonghus

aonghus bsmf

Depending on the distance between the brake and the gas, it can be easy or hard. My friend has an E36 M3, not super hard to do. On my IS300, almost impossible unless you have a swampsquatch foot.

Stick is easy, I will never own another car without one.

19. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

Toyota standards suck.

20. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

With your T/A it's prbly rather hard to stall it out, even from idle? At least comparitivly speaking?

21. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Most people take a week or two to really feel competent around town, and you should be real comfortable after about 3 months.

Like any other skill, there's always something new to learn and you can spend years getting professional level skillsets, but you should be able to drive 95% of the manual trans cars out there after about 3 months of DD a stick.

22. DustinWS6

DustinWS6 New Member

It's not too hard. I would suggest going to a big parking lot to learn and get the feel of the clutch and release point before attempting it in traffic.

I agree with MeanGreen. I also have a T/A and have a lou's short throw on the stock Hurst shifter. Makes banging gears much easier