GUN Differnce betwen Mac10 and Mac11?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by g1ock, Jan 23, 2003.

1. g1ock

g1ock Guest

I was just curious about the differnce between a Mac10 and a Mac11, and the information I've found on google is very limited... Thanks ;)

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Originally, a MAC-10 is either 9mm or .45 and a MAC-11 is .380. When SWD/Cobray starting manufacturing them (1983 or 84ish), they started mixing the names up and the MAC-11 became 9mm/.380 and the MAC-10 was .45.

i'd guess it was done for tooling simplicity as the .380 and 9mm are dimensionally closer to each other than the .45

3. g1ock

g1ock Guest

Interesting. Are the Cobray ones good quality? They are very inexpensive...

4. kellyclan

For what they are (cheap, compact, SMG), i understand they're a fairly good buy. As long as you understand what you're buying, i don't think you'd be disappointed if you can find one for in new or nearly new for $1500 or less. i'm not of the belief they're as reliable as a clean MP5, but that they're pretty simple guns is a big point in their favor, not much to go wrong with them.

A semi version will run you less money, but i'd lean towards something more refined and practical if its not going to be full auto. Just my opinion. ;)

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

do they dimple like MP5's? because that's one thing that, if you don't have an armorer like law enforcement and military do, you'd have to worry about that. on an MP5. i'd imagine that these are a bit sturdier. MP5's come with a dowel kit for pounding out dimples in the reciever, because even the manufacturer knows they're going to happen. and the barrels on MP5's take a really massive press to get in and out.

6. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

My family company just acquired a NIB Cobray MAC11/nine. So far I've put over 3,000 rounds through it and I haven't had any problems.

Most problems from full auto firearms stem from bad magazines (bent lips, bad springs, bad followers). On a semi-auto the magazine just holds the ammo, on a full-auto firearm the magazine has to work with the action to feed the ammo.

I bought a "MAC Jack" that speeds up the cyclic rate of the MAC11/nine to 2,000 rounds per minute. Its INSANELY fast. Its hard to keep the bursts below 5-8 rounds, but at the same time its very easily controlled (10" pattern at 15 yards).

If anyone wants to see a MAC fire 2,000RPM, give me a place to host a 200mb mpeg and I'll post it :)

JK

7. kellyclan

They're basically the same construction as the HK receiver, just on a tighter budget. ;) i haven't played with MACs enough to say how durable they are beyond that.