different types of sub enclosures? school me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by geckoman, Jan 21, 2005.

1. geckoman

geckoman OG - registered 02/01. Noobs GTFO

I just purchased (on line) a bandpass box with a small (8") sub, and an Alphasonik amp. When I mentioned it in the main (OT) forum, I got comments from one guy that bandpass boxes sound like crap. I don't really know much about the different types of boxes, .. .sealed, isobaric, bandpass, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th "order", etc...

I'm just looking to get a little bit of punch on the lower/mid end in my daily driver, and don't want to spend a ton of money or have an overly complex system.. so that's why I went with the bandpass box and a small 8" woofer/amp set up (got it for $120 total)... so what are the advantages/disadvantages of a bandpass vs say a sealed enclosure?

2. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Bandpass sucks. Get a sealed or ported enclosure.

3. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I alwyas thought bandpass was for looks :o

4. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

just get a simple sealed enclosure..

5. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Thats what I have, but I think it's leaking... So I might have to pull the subs out and re-calk (sp?) the seams or something. (good idea? :dunno: )

6. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

yeah try that, if they leak thats a bad thing.

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

8. 04

04 Guest

Bandpass has it's advantages, but it's usually better to use a ported or sealed enclosure in most cases IMO.

9. 04

04 Guest

Well the comment that "bandpass boxes sound like crap" is rather ignorant. There are many bandpass configurations that sound terrible, but properly designed ones can sound very good.

The problem is, the enclosure has to be designed according to the woofer you plan on using's mechanical and electrical parameters. Since the enclosure you bought has the woofer already installed, its likely that the company actually designed the system properly.

There are two different types of bandpass system's though, 4th and 6th order. 4th order has one sealed chamber and one vented, and 6th has both chambers vented. Which type is your subwoofer?