Different size subs..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Oct 30, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'll be getting some more subs today.. 3 JL W610's in a box.. I already have a JL W315D4...

I'd like to set something up with all 4 subs, but I've heard from others a few theories, such as different sized subs of different ratings don't sound right together, etc.

Can anyone correct me or agree? I figured if they are setup right on different amps or something, it shouldn't be an issue.

2. 04

04 Guest

I would not reccomend using more than one specific size or type of subwoofer in an installation.

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

bad idea.

what 042801 says is pretty much law.

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

A local shop owner with a "story" told me he hit 160db with 2 JLW7 10's and a 12. I wanted to say what the fuck was the point of that :dunno:
    Hooking up 3 10's and a 15 is a really bad idea :rofl:

5. DatacomGuy

Ten four. :bigok:

6. 04

04 Guest

:love:

But I am wrong sometimes you know :o (Ask ThumpinRam :o :o :o )

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i've seen/heard it done, but i would not do it myself.

8. unsaved

unsaved no one of consequence

it will work ok if the boxes are tuned right

9. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Guest

Don't do it your speakers will be out of phase and it will sound like crap. stick with 1 size subs in 2 enclosure.. 2 boxes is dumb and would be horrible.

10. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

It can be done if you do it right. Tune each type to a different freq, and have differenct frequencies playing to each. i.e. have the 12" play from 20hz-40hz, and the 10's playing from 40hz-70hz. But you'll need some pretty good amps/crossovers for this.

11. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Check out ////Alpines demo car before you say not to use different size subs. :) I believe they had everything from 8"-15".

:wiggle: I want that car. :wiggle:

12. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Guest

its a demo car, im sure they had layouts for multiple speakers but i doubt they were all going at once,, but i dont know exactly i've never seen it.

13. 93ex

93ex New Member

if every different size is in its own enclsure you cuold make it work..but it might be a tuning fun

14. DatacomGuy

Tuning fun, or tuning hell. :hs:

Forget it. I'm not going to do it.

15. 04

04 Guest

:ugh:

How about no...

16. 04

04 Guest

lowfat is right, if you are going to do more than one sized sub, that is the way to do it. As to why anyone would bother is beyond me. :dunno:

The 12" woofers would be able to cover the entire 20hz to 200+hz spectrum just fine.

17. 04

04 Guest

I can already tell you that their is no real practical purpose to that without even seeing the car.

Now, if it had 8" woofers up front, 15" woofers in the back, thats one thing. But unless they are stupid, they would cross over each woofer to cover a different frequency range.

18. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

I'm sure that is what they did regarding crossing over each sub.

They DID have the 8 inch up front in the lower kick, and maybe it was just 8", and 12" or 15". They DID have the smaller drivers up front.

Everything is completely fiberglassed in. Now I"ll admit... most of that car is for looks only. For instance... they have the MRDM100, MRDM500, and the MRVF540 arranged in the rear of the vehicle just so it looks good... kinda like an upsidedown triangle with the lengths of the amps.

But at the same time... I would think that having an 8 inch driver in the front of the car would give one kick-ass stage. :cool:

I only wish I had the cash... :hs:

19. 04

04 Guest

Yup, and that is a good setup too. You take some of the burden off the front midranges from having to play so low. You can cross your subwoofers over even lower, which makes localization that much harder.

I just don't get why people will have say a 10" and a 15" woofer in the trunk of their car both playing the same frequencies. I mean, you COULD get it to sound fine, and it would be louder than a single 10" or 15" woofer, but seriously, why bother?

20. Shikado

Shikado David-Michelle-Edgar-Tony :wtc:

just a wild thought, how about 2-12" in trunk and 2-8" in cabin? :dunno:

21. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Bad idea :eek3: