GUN Different buffer types? (besides H and carbine)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NetChemica, Jan 14, 2010.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

This is a repost of my ar15.com forum thread, but I think you guys might give me a more straight up answer.

I've tried researching this for the past couple of days and couldn't find anything. Maybe you guys can give me some insight.

My Carbon15 does not have a buffer retainer in the lower receiver. I have to remove the buffer tube to breakdown my ar15 because the buffer rests against the bolt carrier.

My lower receiver cracked and I purchased a RRA lower (still waiting to pick it up). When I looked at it at the store, I saw that the buffer is retained in the buffer tube like it is in all other ARs that I've seen.

Now my bolt carrier does not have a groove cut out in it for the buffer retainer like the three bolt carriers pictured below have.

(left part of the picture, horizontal groove)
    [​IMG]

Here a picture of my bolt carrier, buffer tube threads, and buffer itself. The carrier bottomed out on the buffer tube and expanded the very front of it which caused the top of the ring on the lower receiver to crack. I tried repairing it with some epoxy seeing as it's just carbon, but that failed to hold. It cracked as soon as I started threading in the buffer tube.

[​IMG]

I assume I'm going to need a new bolt carrier also, is there any other problems I will come across besides the carrier?

2. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Wow, I'd would just abort the whole thing and replace it all. Buffer and spring for sure, you'll have to have a new bolt carrier because of the groove in the bottom, so I'd lean towards just getting an entire new group. Get a new tube as well.

The latest hotness in buffers is the new spike's new buffer filled with tungsten powder. Seems to be getting good reviews. http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=201

I like the Young chrome BCGs, but they're expensive.

Have you talked to Colt about the issue? Maybe they'll fix it. :dunno:

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Bushmaster

4. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I had no idea the Carbon15s had a proprietary bolt/carrier in them. What a pain in the ass.

5. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I got a complete lower with buffer, spring, and buffer tube.

I'll see if my gun store carries BCGs. Is there anything that I should shy away from? I know to look for a shrouded firing pin and staked gas keys... what else do I look for in a good BCG?

6. johnson

johnson New Member

7. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Will that BCG work if I don't have a forward assist? It also says it's for auto, mines a semi. What's the difference?

8. fatmoocow

Allows it to work in an auto lower. Either will work in a semi gun. Main thing with bolts is to buy from a reputable manufacturer.

9. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Which model Carbon 15 is this? The new M4 version that supposedly accepts all standard AR parts, or an older one?

11. fatmoocow

BCM is good from what I hear.