MIL Differences in U.S. Army/USMC Basic Training and Canadian-style... Most effective?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fearan, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Hi,

Reading some of the horror stories about Bootcamp in the U.S.A versus what veterans now call the Canadian "pink" Army training, I wonder which one is more effective in creating top-notch soldiers ready for urban warfare.

Canada now has very strict policies regarding things such as hazing, PT, harassment and a bunch of other things. Basically, Army training has been "pussied-up" a lot. Instructors are no longer allowed to single out fuck-ups, give push-ups to a small group of individuals, instructors need to provide adequate food and water at all times, and various other things. Of course, it still happens but only in extreme cases. How does this compare to current standards for the USMC and US Army training? Is there still Full Metal Jacket style training happening or has the US also jumped on the Human Rights bandwagon?

"Basic Military Qualification", a 10-week long affair for our Reg force and 4-week long for our reservists is basically a breeze to pass through, because clerks and other soft-jobs need to qualify in order to have a job. The 2nd stage, called "Soldier Qualification" also needs to be completed by ALL Army staff, so this is often pussied-up as well. The MOC course for Infantry has even become somewhat of a breeze, with the field portion now lasting only a few days in some cases. In recent years, there has been a declining amount of sleep-deprivation training, and an increase in recruits lolly gagging around and having fun.

How does this contrast with the U.S.?

2. eter

eter New Member

Out of regular force IAP 2 weeks ago... and let me tell you, these new directives you're talking about, they don't exist on the ground... because I can tell you first hand they do single out fuck ups (some guy threw himself from the 10th floor this summer because he couldn't take anymore shit from his instructor) and YES, YES they DO make individuals, small groups... who the fuck ever... do push-ups whenever they want to.

oh .. and these strict rules about PT you speak of.. they don't seem to make it any safer. We lost 4 people out of 36 within the first 3 weeks because they developped injuries that could have been easily avoided had the training not been so retarded (running up and down 9 floors of stairs for an evening, no stretching before 4.30 am pt, making it basically impossible to go to the medic without getting shit for it, etc).

I'm not complaining and I don't think I've been through hell on earth either, but I'm still proud of what I did and to be honest it kind of pisses me off to see older guys, even ones just a few years out of training piss on it and say the newbies get it easy now.

cheers,

3. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Guys doing IAP have it harder than non-coms though, that's normal. :big grin:

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Well since I got out of Boot camp not to long ago.... for the United States Marine Corps I can tell you that you can take Full Metal Jacket and times that shit by 15,0000000x for my platoon. Drill Instructors were old-school hardcore and went insane on our ass. So it's a matter of how hard/smart your SDI and DI is compared to others. I was so jealous of all the other platoons because it seemed like they had it easy. We would always have classes with them and our platoon would be the only one that would come in dripping, smelling like shit, drenched in sweat from being demolished before hand ALL FUCKING DAY EVERYDAY. The other platoons felt bad for us and were afraid of our horror stories so they actually slid over some water for us because we would always have none :rofl:.

5. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

My buddy was stationed at a Army base for Job training where they had recruit training for the Army. (He's a Marine) . He said it was like fucking Boy Scout camp compared to us.

6. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:rofl: :bigthumb:
    As soon as you went inside ....zonk. But yeah, I stayed awake most of the time but your body just ...fails on you. Of course we'd get fucked up because of that too.

7. Shaolin Bushido

Shaolin Bushido Sense Offender

I don't believe this though you may have thought it at the time.

When'd you go to boot camp and was it at PI or San Diego?

8. Shaolin Bushido

Shaolin Bushido Sense Offender

Nice av ... I think I'll steal it, heh ....

9. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

You are retarded. I know what I went through.
    PI April-July 05

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yeah, USMC boot camp is definately harder than they show you on Full Metal Jacket. You don't get choked or shit like that, but I had a few open palms to my head.

Also, on FMJ, the SDI stays like 12 inches away from everyones face. In real boot camp, they make your ass move around to get out of the way of their face. Plus you're drenched in saliva.

I won't even get started on getting smoked.

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I got choked :hs:

12. Fearan

Fearan Guest

:mamoru:

If any instructor tried that in Canada they'd get fired. They get fired for screaming too much at recruits.

Now, what method of instruction is more effective? :big grin: Go Canada, Go!

13. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

you wanna bet? trust me when i say you have no true meaning of the word "miserable"

14. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

my SDI punched me in the stomach on the 3rd to last day. i felt honored :hs:

oh and i got thrown into a wall at SOI... that i didnt like so much :o