Differences between LS1 Firehawk and WS6?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Abraxis, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I saw one of each, traveling together, I think yesterday. Those are some SWEET cars. I don't really know anything about Firehawks except that they're fast, but I didn't know they were still putting them out. What are the differences between those 2 cars besides the ram air hood? Stats?

2. -X-

-X- New Member

The Firehawks are limited production and have a different nose cone, hood, and wheels. I know Firehawks could get the 1LE suspension also, but the WS6 may have been able to as well... not sure on that one.

In terms of power, they're almost identical. I've got a buddy that will be selling his Firehawk pretty soon, if you're interested. ;)

3. Zepher

Zepher Hi, I am Kimmy

Noses are the same, unless you have a Formula Firehawk which has the base firebird nose.
    Firehawk has upto 345hp while the WS6 is 325-335, I beleive.

4. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

The base Firehawk package is pretty similar to the WS6... Being that they are both pretty much cosmetic changes (different hoods, wheels) with some basic suspension, intake, and exhaust tweaks.

The Firehawk could be ordered with more options (Firehawk specific) than the WS6 however, to include: Bilstein Suspension; 1LE Suspension (GM option up to 1999, SLP option in 2001-2002); Auburn rear; Unique rear decklid spoiler; and some misc. odds and ends.

The 2002 Firehawk started out with 335 hp, but this changed early in production (within the first few months or so) to 345 hp due to a better lid.

Honestly, pound for pound, it's better to be afraid of a stripper Z28 or Formula - Same underated engine in a lighter car.

5. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Cool, good info. I wouldn't turn either one down.
    Weren't older Firehawks a lot more modified than other TA's 10 yrs ago or so?

6. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Yeah, the ORIGINAL Firehawks of 91/92 were hardcore cars, brembo brakes, ZF 6-speed and an SLP built 350 good for 350hp when the GM 350s only made 245 stock.

There was also a 9-10,000$ option for a "Competition" package which included racing seats and a full cage. There were only 25 or 26 Firehawks built between 91 and 92 and they ran around 60K new.

7. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

All were Formula's and the Firehawk option included:
    Power by an SLP prepped 350 pushing 350hp and 390 lb-ft, rolled on unique wheels, and had a better exhaust and steeper gears. They went for $40,000.

For another $10,000 you could get the competition "R" package, which included 13" Brembo brakes (the same ones used on the Ferrari F40), a full roll cage, a Recaro driver's seat with Simpson racing harness, and an aluminum hood. The rear seats were taken out for the competition package, and for another $1,000 you could get the passenger seat replaced with a Recaro and harness as well.

There were a few one-offs as well, including one documented Hawk that left SLP with a 12-point (as opposed to the regular "R" package 6-point) rollcage, a driveshaft safety loop, and a fuel cell. Two other cars were built with an all aluminum 366ci engine making 375hp and 400 lb-ft of torque.

27 cars were ordered, but #18 and #23 were cancelled, making final production a low 25 cars.

Every now and then you can find them at auction, the last one I saw was a "R" equipped Hawk and went for a mid $20's pricetag. Not to bad for one of the most expensive, fastest, and best handling Firebird's ever built.

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

So the next question: how would an older gen Firehawk hold up against an LS1 T/A?

9. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Very well... The 1992 Firehawk pulled low 13's (13.2 is the most common number thrown about, with very high 12's reported on occasion) @ 107mph. So in the quarter mile they are a little faster than the modern LS1 cars on average (I have to throw in the "on average" because LS1 cars have seen *very* low 13's and occasional high 12's stock).

In 0-60 tests the 1992 Firehawk ticks it off in about 4.9 seconds, which is on par with the new LS1's. There are some reports of a 4.6 second 0-60, they aren't as common and I don't know if that's a fluke number or what.

Where it really shines is in the handling. The 1992 Firehawk (which came with the 1LE suspension option standard) could pull .94g's on the skidpad, and a pretty damn amazing 68.3 mph in the slalom. Both of these numbers are far better than a stock LS1. Compare it to a modern 1LE or possibly SLP's Bilstein suspension though and I'm sure the gap narrows, if the LS1 doesn't outperform it.

These are all numbers with the standard 350/395 Firehawk, the 366ci aluminum engine version would do better obviously.

In a straight up comparison, the '92 Hawk and the modern LS1 F-Bodies are a fairly close matchup. Which is saying a lot considering the '92 is over a decade older!

10. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

No kidding, that's stout. I thought that the '89 TTA was considered the fastest F body until the LS1, but they were about the same as that Firehawk at low 13's, IIRC.

11. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Yup, anywhere from mid/low 13's to low 14's... depending on driver and whether or not the car was a ragged on press vehicle. I guess technically (until the LS1) they were the fastest "official" Firebird's, since the Firehawk was technically a tier one tuner car and not a "GM" product (same as the modern Firehawk's actually).
    The '89 TTA takes to mods pretty well though being as how it's running essentially the same engine as the Grand National, which can hit 11's for under $2000 in mods :drool:

They are both sweet cars!

12. -X-

-X- New Member

You may be right, but I was told the tip of the firehawk hood would hit the nose cone on a regular Formula or TA.

Looks Bad Mojo has done his homework though, that's some cool info about the 92's. :bigthumb:

13. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

One of my favorite cars ;)

You are correct about the nose. While it's the same nose that's on the TA or Formula, SLP trims it about a 1/2 inch or so to fit the Firehawk hood.