Difference in AMD cores?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fanatic, Jun 13, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

Difference in AMD core/RAM question

I'm building a computer soon and am planning on an AMD64 3200+. There are two different cores listed on newegg though, the Winchester and Venice, I realize Venice is newer but what advantages does it offer over the Winchester?

Also, I'm trying to decent how I'm going to buy RAM for the computer. I originally wanted to buy a 1 gig stick of RAM for the beginning, and then later add another gig stick later and put them in dual channel (computer needs to last a few years). Would it be better though to do buy a dual channel 2x512mb stick now, and then add another dual channel kit later and have them both run in dual channel (is that possible)?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you really should run dual channel from the git-go. as for core differences, its hype. AMD likes doing the same thing 1000 different ways and letting you buy them all as different products.

3. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

buy 2 512mb sticks, of course you should use the dual channel

the venice core is a newer core, yes, but it is a much better overclocker than the winchester...if you have the money buy a dual core, if not gaming= fx multitasking and general use = san diego core

4. diranged

diranged New Member

Stop paying attention to 'core names'. Pay attention to features. Look at Frequency, L2 Cache size, and Pin count. Pin count indicates whether it has a dual or single memory controller (939/940 and 754 respectively). For most applications/games, going from 512kb of L2 Cache to 1MB of L2 Cache does not make a huge difference.

If you do not plan on overclocking, buy the highest frequency part you can with 512KB of L2 cache in a 939pin package.

If you DO plan on overclocking, get one with a higher L2 cache and lower frequency... but this isnt the way i would go..

5. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

I don't plan on overclocking from the beginning, but I would like to have it there years down the road when I could use a little more juice. I'm buying a socket 939 for sure as that's where AMD is going, but I'm still unsure as the core. The Venice core has actually become cheaper on Newegg, and the only difference listed there is that the Venice core can do SSE3 (and I don't even know what that is).

Also, with the RAM, is it possible to have 2 sets of dual channel RAM running in dual channel at the same time? For instance, I buy a dual channel kit now, will I be able to buy a dual channel kit later and have them both run in dual channel?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can run 4 sticks in dual channel... however, I would not buy some now and some later. It really needs to ALL match.