MMA Difference between UFC and Pride rules?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Jeebus, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Other than no elbows in pride and resets from the ground, is there anything else that is a major difference?

2. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Pride has 3 rounds for every fight 10 min first round and 5 mins for the 2nd and 3rd round; UFC does 3 5 minute rounds or 5 5 minute rounds for a championship fight. Pride allows strikes to the head of a downed opponent(ie stomps, soccer kicks, and knees); UFC allows kicks to the body or legs but not the head, and they do not allow any knees to the head while the fighters are on the ground.

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I know this is about the rules, but...

I think the cage setting is better than the ring for MMA

4. woodchuck

woodchuck Member

I think that as the UFC gains popularity, the cage will help distance it from boxing...which has been in a horrid tailspin.

Are shirts allowed in Pride? What about footwear?

5. B4LL

B4LL OT Supporter

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

In Pride im not sure about shirts but you can definitely wear a gi. In terms of shoes, I think its bare foot or wrestling shoes only.

7. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i somewhat agree. i like the octagon better than the square ring because it allows for more circular movement and less cornering, but i don't like how cage fighters can use the fence. i rather watch the fighters not rely on their environment to fight. so maybe if they made an octagon with ropes... :eek3:

i like pride rules better overall. for one, most people have heard my gripes about elbows and using the fence. also, the 5-5-5 rounds give grapplers like Karo a huge disadvantage, where pride's 10-5-5 is more fair. just catering to the american audience and their preference for strikers i suppose...

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah... in ADCC isn't there some rule where they don't even count points for the first 10 minutes?

Also I think that the fence is not bad, it gets a little annoying when the fighters keep getting tangled in the ropes and get moved back to the middle by the ref. Having it go uninterrupted seems more natural.

9. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

in pride you can spike someone on their head

in ufc, you cannot

10. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I don't think it's been specificly stated, you can elbow to the head in UFC, and not in pride.

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I thought you were not allowed downward elbow strikes in UFC?

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah you can't elbow to the top of the head, and no knees to the head on the ground. Also no stomps.

In pride everything but elbows is allowed.

13. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

Usually those first ten mins are just pure stalling, there are very few people who go all out for the submission in those first ten minutes like they are supposed too.

It usually ends up as a wrestling battle, watching aoki and avellan in the first ten minutes was like watching paint dry and then suddenly there was a ton of action and aoki wins on points.

14. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

Scoring is different. UFC uses a boxing-style 10 point must system.
    Pride's scoring is more subjective. A guy can be on the bottom of a lay-and-pray for the first two rounds, but knock his opponent down in several flurries in the final round and eke out a decision victory.

15. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Pride and UFC both have there positives and negatives. I personally prefer UFC just because I am more exposed to it.

16. cabbage

cabbage Current USGA index 2.7 OT Supporter

I prefer the cage. I don't like seeing guys get tangled in the ropes with the guys outside the ring having to shake the ropes to get the guys off...Just doesn't seem natural.

17. chechen

and guys all squished up against the side of the cage for 15 mins seems natural eh?

18. cabbage

I'd rather see them pushed up against the side of the cage where they can use it as leverage rather than seeing guys tied up in the ropes, being stood up then trying to get into the same position again in the center of the ring.

19. Sammo

Sammo New Member

20. cabbage

:werd:

21. chechen

why do you think they push people up on the side of the cage? because theres not much leverage for a guard player to use. he cant shift his hips effectively. it kills the bottom game. thats why wrestlers do much better in the UFC

22. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

For some I would agree that the cage shuts their bottom game down. But for others, who seem to be able to push against the cage with their feet to reposition themselves, or stand back up, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

And by natural I guess I it resembles a real fight more. If I were to fight my room mate right now, it would be him and me in a small apartment. Eventually it would end up near a wall and there would be no ref to reset us. Of course if the fight was outside in a field or something, then I guess pride would emulate that better.

23. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

it doesn't allow for more complete fighters and and fights though. i think that it slows the game down too because people like tito and lindland can just pin their opponent against the fence and...and...let time expire

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think UFC has been working to clean up the 'lay and pray' image of the cage environment. I also agree that for a while it's been used to negate a grappler's bottom game, but these days more and more dudes are learning to adapt to it and use the cage to their advantage when pushed into it.

the game adapts to the rules it must live within, and I think it just makes it better.