Difference between Ogg and FLAC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zourn, May 31, 2005.

1. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I've been ripping all my CDs into Ogg format for a while now, since it is lossless, but i've started DLing live shows (which was posted for DL by the artist, so it is legal jolly) and they are all in FLAC which I come to find out is also lossless. What's the difference between them?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i don't know too many people that use lossless codecs for stolen media. Interesting how that is.

two competing lossless codecs. They're lossless, so there's no difference in quality. Some will compress some files better than others, although ogg and flac are very close, with each doing some sources better than the other. Stick with whatever you're using because there's no reason to change.

edit : I am assuming you mean ogg vorbis (lossless) and not lossy ogg.

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

if i remember correctly ogg is simply a container for the files. Most of the time people mention ogg they are talking about ogg vorbis.

Flac has seemily began to be the standard. the nice part about lossless though is that you can switch encodings and loose zero audio quality, it just depends on what you prefere for extra things the codecs support and for the compression ratio of the codec.

So as far as which is better, I'd say if its lossless don't worry too much, if you need to switch latter on down the road you'll just have to run a batch program to take care of it overnight.

That and you can google for some comparisons and see the different features each offer.

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

As jolly said, OGG Vorbis is not lossless, but it is much better than MP3. I find that FLAC files are too big for my liking, and that OGG Vorbis at quality level 8 gives me a good balance between excellent sound quality and small file size.

6. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

APE is probably the closest competition to FLAC and I tend to favor it, even though there is no difference, anything is bettern than Shorten though.

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I like Monkey Audio or WMA9. They are all pretty much equal, though I think MA is superior. However, I believe the reason the OGG container is so popular is due to being able to handle a 6.1 track. I think WMA9 does too though.