GUN difference between Mossberg Maverick & 500/590

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CrudeGT, Sep 21, 2003.

1. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

I just went to the gun show here and was looking for a home defender. At the moment my funds are a little limited, though. I was looking for a mossberg 500 series, they were running in the price range of $250 to $300, used, not a bad price. But I found a maverick 88 12g, used for $175 so i snatched it as soon as I saw it.

But I was curious, whats the diffference between the 2 shotguns, the Maverick and the 500 series? is one more reliable than the other, or is aesthetic (SP?) stuff?

2. Furner

Furner New Member

I have a Mav88 myself, I think one of the differences is the position of the safety, I do believe it is up by your nose on the 500. If your Mav dosnt have screw-in chokes, buy a Mossy 500 bbl, that way you have the ability to switch chokes. For the, the Mav is an excellent fitting gun, but I can feel mine wearing out, I am bout to buy a Beretta AL391 this week. Overall, the Mav and the Mossy are almost identical, the Mav has some cheaper parts, the bolt is not finished the same as the Mossy, and there is lots more plastic on the Mav. The bolt release on Mossy/Mav is like no other, for a pump gun, I would not ever buy anything other than a Mossy because of the intuitive bolt release.

3. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

I don't know what the hell is on the gun. I was ina bit of a hurray, i bought and then came into work. Can't exactly have it here at my desk and inspect it during work (as fun as that would be ;) ). I'll have to check it out more when I get home.

now for the naive questions, this is the first shotgun i've owned, and will be the second i've ever fired. what the differnces between the 2 chokes? and why is the screw-in bad?

4. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Another thing different is the Mossberg 500 has dual action bars (the bars that connect the foregrip to the bolt). The reason they have dual action bars is to decrease the chances of binding the action up if you pump it in a weird way or something goes weird.

The 500 is barely more expensive than the Mav, so I'd say just go with the 500 if you can. I have one of the Mossberg 500 "defense" models (comes standard with a long magazine tube and short barrel) and it's always served me good.

Btw, what gun show were you at that USED 500's were $250.00 to $300.00? That's way more than you should be spending on a NEW one. Horrible horrible prices. I bought my 500 for $199.99 and still see ads in Big 5 for the same price

5. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

it was the Crossroads of the West Guns Show, in Salt Lake City. I was talking to a guy that works at a local gun shop here, he was selling a few used 590's for $225. I was thinking the prices at the gun show were a little high, but most of them are put that way cuz people will barter and trade.

I would like to end up with a couple different shotguns in my possession, but for a first shotgun, i figured this one would be nice. It'll give me something to practice with, and if it breaks or seaizes up, it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

What did you pay for the 500 'defense' model? new or used?

ohh, and with a shotgun, is it as important to clean the gun and barrel after firing as it is with a handgun? I've always been told to clean my gun as soon as possible after firing it, just to get all the powder and gunk out, but is it the same with shotguns? (this is how new and naive I am to guns, I'm still learning)

6. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I paid $199.99 for my Mossberg 500 Defense brand new. You should always clean your guns just to extend their lives and reliability.

Although, I don't always get around to cleaning my Mossberg. Out on the reservation in N. Arizona I had someone drop it and it was just full of dirt and sand and whatnot. I put it back in the truck cause I was planning on taking it completely apart and cleaning it all out, but I ended up just saying "Fuck it" and got several rabbits with it that night. So I doubt your gun is gonna get as dirty as mine did just from shooting at the range a few times....

.....That being said, you should still clean your guns as best you can after you fire them. It's better for the gun in the long run.

7. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

i figured that, I guess I'll run down to the the gun shop tomorrow and see if they have a cleaning kit for the mav.

Damn, $199.99? You paid that in Cali? I would have thought Cali would have had higher gun prices than utah. I need to make a trip out there for my next gun.

It didn't come with any owners manual, so I need to call Mossberg tomorrow and get a copy of one sent to me. Do you feild strip shotguns to clean them, like handguns?

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

as far as cleaning goes with a shotgun, you don't have any rifling to worry about wearing out, so clean it as often as you want or can. with rifles and pistols, overcleaning can be a bigger issue than not cleaning, especially if you fire very few rounds between cleanings. it's really apparent with police and military who may not fire their issued or duty weapons very often, but are instructed or forced to clean them all the time. i clean my AR every 3 trips to the range or so, which turns out to be around 300-360 rounds. if you're using corrosive ammo, every time is pretty much a must.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

screw-in chokes are a good thing, it lets you change your pattern without changing your bbl. My Mav88 has dual bars, maybe thats a newer improvement.

10. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

How do I check to see if I have a screw-in choke or not? and if not, how do I go about changing it?

11. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

You don't.

12. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

So, if I'd have to buy the 500 bbl, like furner was saying, in order change out chokes? is it that important of a thing to be able to change chokes, or is more for novelty?

13. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

If you want to go hunting, or shoot clays, then you'd probably want different chokes. If you're just using the gun for plinking and home defense, don't bother with it

14. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

up here in MA, mossberg 500 cruisers and persuaders, with pistol grips and 8+1 capacity, are only $200. ill be getting one at the gun shwo at the big-E in west springfeild tomorrow